LG LST-3410-A DVR reset code

Old February 24th 09, 05:26 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
remysun

Default LG LST-3410-A DVR reset code

Trying to get the DVR to turn on for recordings from the powered down
mode.

When I first got the DVR, it wouldn't record off the guide so I called
and got a reset code, and that seemed to do the trick.

Wouldn't you know, it waited four years for me to misplace that code?

So, I'm looking online, not sure I found the right code, but thought
I'd post in hopes of getting a chat going that will lead me to the
solution.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...7424-p-13.html

To reset TV Guide settings:
1) Go To the LST-3410 Menu and highlight EZScan (do not execute it -
just highlight it)
2) Using the remote, enter: 100102

I then went into the TV Guide diagnostics menu (753259852) and saw
that the Host Channel is now 0x0.
Old February 24th 09, 08:56 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

Remysun wrote:

Trying to get the DVR to turn on for recordings from the powered down
mode.

When I first got the DVR, it wouldn't record off the guide so I called
and got a reset code, and that seemed to do the trick.

Wouldn't you know, it waited four years for me to misplace that code?

So, I'm looking online, not sure I found the right code, but thought
I'd post in hopes of getting a chat going that will lead me to the
solution.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/archi...7424-p-13.html

To reset TV Guide settings:
1) Go To the LST-3410 Menu and highlight EZScan (do not execute it -
just highlight it)
2) Using the remote, enter: 100102

I then went into the TV Guide diagnostics menu (753259852) and saw
that the Host Channel is now 0x0.

The purpose of that is to reset the host channel so that the DVR will
search for one again. I don't think that will directly affect its
ability to wake up for recordings, but there are so many wacky
problems apparently related to bad guide data that I can't be sure.
There are several other things you could try. Some are safe; others
will wipe out any recordings you may have saved. Here's an AVSForum
message collecting many of them:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...0#post13453320

You'll probably have better results asking in the LST-3410A thread on
AVSForum. Of course you'll probably have to put up with chiding that
you should have first read through all 5700+ posts in the current
thread as well as the entire archived thread, but that goes with the
territory.

There's a good chance your problem is at least partly
hardware-related. A fix would likely involve replacement of several
electrolytic capacitors in the power supply and elsewhere. You
shouldn't even think about trying that unless you are adept at
component-level circuit board repair.

Old February 25th 09, 02:48 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
QN[_2_]

I was looking at three LG LST-3410A DVRs on eBay and Googled a bit. I read
an old account that claimed that the unit was unable to read TV Guide data
from digital channels. I have no idea if it is true, but the possibility
kept me from doing any bidding.

Good luck,

Old February 25th 09, 03:01 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
remysun

On Feb 24, 9:48*pm, "QN" wrote:
I was looking at three LG LST-3410A DVRs on eBay and Googled a bit. *I read
an old account that claimed that the unit was unable to read TV Guide data
from digital channels. * I have no idea if it is true, but the possibility
kept me from doing any bidding.

So far it's been good, especially after I entered the code with my
initial setup. and any problem that I've ever had getting the latest
TV Guide has been solved by unplugging the DVR and then resetting the
clock. The only reason I want to correct the minor problem with auto-
start and shutdown is that the machine needs to be in Off Mode at some
time overnight to receive the schedule.

The LG has been a trusty friend since July 2005, and I only wish that
the TiVo/Cable monopoly on DVRs was broken. These things should be
more common than they are, although I don't think my life should be
saddled to a PC either.
Old February 25th 09, 03:46 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
QN[_2_]

Indeed. I think Tivo has been allowed under our laws to patent things that
should be too general to patent. If people had been recording shows on VHS
tapes, recording the shows on a hard disk is not anything novel (in my
opinion).

Tivo will get 17 years of protection. However, satellite and cable
companies who violated Tivo's patents and made a settlement can still make
DVRs. Dish network has explioted this in their DTVpal product for
over-the-air DVR service.

The Sony DHG-HDD500 from 2005 is a nice unit, but has some software bugs.

Due to congress' delay of the DTV transition you may still be getting analog
TV Guide data from a PBS station. That may go away in June. I know your
LST-3410A can receive digital channels, but reading TV Guide data from a
digital CBS station is another mattter.

Old February 25th 09, 04:00 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
remysun

On Feb 24, 10:46*pm, "QN" wrote:

Due to congress' delay of the DTV transition you may still be getting analog
TV Guide data from a PBS station. *That may go away in June. *I know your
LST-3410A can receive digital channels, but reading TV Guide data from a
digital CBS station is another mattter.

My TV uses Gemstar and it was unaffected by the 2004 loss of analog
PBS due to a lightning strike. I'm fairly confident that I'll be okay,
but even if I'm not, I often use manual programming anyway, to insure
that the program that I favor doesn't get overlapped. It's still
better than my VCR or relying on a service.

I'll let you know how it is in June.
Old February 25th 09, 01:36 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
dicko

On Tue, 24 Feb 2009 18:48:49 -0800, "QN" wrote:

I was looking at three LG LST-3410A DVRs on eBay and Googled a bit. I read
an old account that claimed that the unit was unable to read TV Guide data
from digital channels. I have no idea if it is true, but the possibility
kept me from doing any bidding.

Good luck,

The LS3410A is one crappy unit. It is so plagued with hangups,
freezes, lockups, and just plain goofiness that I'm surprised there
isnt a class action lawsuit against it.

To answer the OPs qestion, to totally reset the unit, simultaneously
press "Select" and "left arrow" on the front panel. DIAG MODE should
appear on the display. That puts you in the factory service mode.
Then, using the remote, pressing 9 then 5 resets the unit to factory
settings. This WILL erase all recordings.

It will NOT receive the guide from ATSC stations, so after the analog
shutdown, these units will be bricked.

-dickm
Old February 25th 09, 11:05 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

dicko wrote (in part):

It will NOT receive the guide from ATSC stations,

True

so after the analog shutdown, these units will be bricked.

Maybe not. Gemstar plans to transmit up to 8 versions of
analog-compatible TVGOS in CBS affiliates' digital stream, and the
Echostar TR-40/DTVPal digital converter supposedly will put that on
the proper lines of its RF and composite outputs. Several people in
the LST-3410A thread on AVSForum are experimenting to see if they can
get that to work; one has reported at least partial success.

Old March 18th 09, 10:44 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
remysun

After having an accidental data dump from turning off the power before
the timeshift could properly stop, it appears that the problem was
that the hard drive was overdue for a disk reformat. I'm guessing that
the DVR wakes up two and a half minutes before the program start so
that it can start recording a minute before start time. But because
the start-up took too long to initialize, the machine thought the disk
was full or that it was malfunctioning, and would shut back off in
response.

But everything is fine now, other than losing the TV Guide listings
temporarily.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old March 19th 09, 02:28 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Del Mibbler[_2_]

Remysun wrote:

After having an accidental data dump from turning off the power before
the timeshift could properly stop, it appears that the problem was
that the hard drive was overdue for a disk reformat. I'm guessing that
the DVR wakes up two and a half minutes before the program start so
that it can start recording a minute before start time. But because
the start-up took too long to initialize, the machine thought the disk
was full or that it was malfunctioning, and would shut back off in
response.

But everything is fine now, other than losing the TV Guide listings
temporarily.

Thanks for everyone's help.

One thing users of this DVR found out early on, especially when they
started replacing the hard drive with a bigger one, was that boot-up
time increased with the number of programs stored on the drive (the
amount of drive space in use didn't matter) until eventually it took
too long to initialize to start the recording. If the DVR was already
on it would record normally. IIRC the magic number was somewhere
around 40 programs.

Del Mibbler