Home Cinema

Old August 21st 05, 12:28 PM
BernardBernard

Default Home Cinema

Please throw some light on the follwoing

I intend to buy a widescreen projector and have not, so far, been able
to see TV signals being projected when I had the demonstrations. In
addition to films,I would like to watch cricket, football, basket ball
.....sports in general using that.

I have seen Screenplay 5700 - seems good for DVDs. Please advise
whether there are any other projectors with good contrast ratios,
brightness, resolution etc. The room I am going to use is 22' length
and 11' width.
By the way what is throw ratio?

Look forward to your advice.
Thank you

Old August 21st 05, 06:37 PM
Darron Fooks

The reason you have not seen a TV demo is simple, because it will look S**T
compared to DVD as most plasma and projectors now use progressive scan on
DVD the picture looks great, but pipe in something like UKTV Gold and my
good your back in the stone-age..! this is because of the bandwidth used on
todays TV is limited so the picture suffers the bigger the screen gets,
unless you willing to spend lots on digital enhancement etc etc, basic all
the bells and whistles type of projector..???

My advice is before you buy, ask for a TV demo, and don't forget that
different TV formats (SAT, Cable & Freeview) all use different bandwidth's
for various channels..??? For example freeview in my area is better than
cable for picture quality..? Go figure eh..!?!

oups.com...

Old August 21st 05, 06:46 PM
Clem Dye

Darron Fooks wrote:
The reason you have not seen a TV demo is simple, because it will look S**T
compared to DVD as most plasma and projectors now use progressive scan on
DVD the picture looks great, but pipe in something like UKTV Gold and my
good your back in the stone-age..! this is because of the bandwidth used on
todays TV is limited so the picture suffers the bigger the screen gets,
unless you willing to spend lots on digital enhancement etc etc, basic all
the bells and whistles type of projector..???

My advice is before you buy, ask for a TV demo, and don't forget that
different TV formats (SAT, Cable & Freeview) all use different bandwidth's
for various channels..??? For example freeview in my area is better than
cable for picture quality..? Go figure eh..!?!

Yeah, do check that out. I've seen Freeview on a projector and, at first
look, it didn't seem too bad. However, the data rates between muxes and
channels contained therein vary - your must-see channels might look
pretty poor. Believe me, on a large image any blockiness or grain will
soon become very annoying. I can see such issues even with my poorish
eyesight on my 42-inch plasma screen, so a projector may be far worse.

One technique that some home cinema amps. have is the ability to
upscale, to 'improve' picture quality. However, if the input signal is
s**te then the output won't be any better.

What about a projector for watching DVDs and a TV for the rest? I guy I
worked with had that arrangement - he recalled that watching EastEnders
on a projector by mistake one evening was a nightmare, for several
reasons .....

Clem

Old August 23rd 05, 09:21 PM
Peter

On Sun, 21 Aug 2005 03:28:18 -0700, BernardBernard wrote:

I have just bought the infocus 7205 , but there are plenty of projectors
out there , that fit the bill.
You may wish to look at the themescene / optioma ? projectors.
Your room size is about the same as mine, so you need to take into
accoaccount screen size and brightness of the image , and when you expect
to watch this , i.e nighttime and cinema conditions or in the day.
Also projectors are coming down in price at a great rate, look on
www.homecinemachoice.com for daily up dates of new equipment etc.

Regards

PD

Old August 25th 05, 05:41 AM
Frosty

Please throw some light on the follwoing

I intend to buy a widescreen projector and have not, so far, been able
to see TV signals being projected when I had the demonstrations. In
addition to films,I would like to watch cricket, football, basket ball
....sports in general using that.

I have seen Screenplay 5700 - seems good for DVDs. Please advise whether
there are any other projectors with good contrast ratios, brightness,
resolution etc. The room I am going to use is 22' length and 11' width.
By the way what is throw ratio?

Look forward to your advice.
Thank you

Hi Bernard Bernard, the reason most shops struggle to show a decent
off-air picture is that they haven't got good aerials. The shops are
often leased and it's difficult to get a landlord to agree to spend the
money for a decent aerial.

Do you know anyone with a DVD recorder? Could you get some sports clips
recorded and play them back off disc? Given a decent off-air feed then
most projectors will look as good with TV as they do with DVD. The BBC
news channels are fantastic on the studio shots.

The Screenplay 5700 is a well respected projector. It's had good
reviews in the magazines and a recent price drop to well under =A32000
makes it even more tempting.

Throw ratio is simply a number to help you work out the throw distance
for any given screen width. eg a throw ratio of 1.6:1 on a 7ft screen
would give a projection distance of 11.2ft (1.6x7ft). 2:1 would give
14ft, and so on.

Since many projectors have a zoom lens the throw ratio includes some
extra numbers to give the minimum and maximum throw distances. e.g
throw ratio of 1.6~2.0:1 on a 7ft screen would give a min throw of
11.2ft and a max of 14ft

Regards

Frosty

Old August 25th 05, 09:06 AM
Tim S Kemp

Frosty wrote:

Hi Bernard Bernard, the reason most shops struggle to show a decent
off-air picture is that they haven't got good aerials. The shops are
often leased and it's difficult to get a landlord to agree to spend
the money for a decent aerial.

If that is true then it's a poor excuse- it costs 60-100 pounds to install a
decent antenna,not much more to install some distribution across the
displays (certainly if they are just along a wall), negligable amounts to do
it well if you're paying for a professional shopfit, I can't think of any
landlord who would object to a new TV antenna.

--
re-configure the solar matrix in parallel for endothermic propulsion

Old August 27th 05, 12:23 PM
Frosty

Well, I know the proprietors of several shops who have exactly this
problem.

It isn't just the aerial cost, there are other factors. There's the
potential risk of damage to the building, the building could be in a
poor signal area due to multiple reflections or it could even be a
question of who is liable for the TV licence. The business owners I
know all tell me that if it was easy to do they'd do it without a
moments hesitation.

Frosty