NTL Digital Cable in Westminster?

Old September 1st 04, 04:26 AM
Stephen

Default NTL Digital Cable in Westminster?

Does anyone know when NTL might upgrade to Digital Cable in Westminster?
They started the upgrade 2 years ago when they replaced the old BT system
with standard analogue cable, which was "digital ready", and digital was
going to follow in 6 months, but nothing has happened. NTL don't reply to my
e-mails, and for new customers they deny that they provide any cable TV
service in Westminster at all. This is inspite of them holding the monopoly
cable franchise for the area, which prevents anyone else like Telewest from
providing a proper cable TV service here.
Westminster should be one of NTL's most lucrative cable areas because most
people live in apartment blocks which don't have SMATV, and don't allow
residents to use their own dishes either. This is why I need Digital Cable,
but NTL won't provide it. Isn't there a government incentive for them to go
digital? How can they get away with refusing to take new customers while
still holding the franchise? Does anyone know if NTL have any plans to do
something about upgrading, how I can get any information out of them, or who
I should complain to about them?

Old September 2nd 04, 02:15 AM
John Porcella

"Stephen" wrote in message
Does anyone know when NTL might upgrade to Digital Cable in Westminster?
They started the upgrade 2 years ago when they replaced the old BT system
with standard analogue cable, which was "digital ready", and digital was
going to follow in 6 months, but nothing has happened. NTL don't reply to

my
e-mails, and for new customers they deny that they provide any cable TV
service in Westminster at all. This is inspite of them holding the

monopoly
cable franchise for the area, which prevents anyone else like Telewest

from
providing a proper cable TV service here.
Westminster should be one of NTL's most lucrative cable areas because most
people live in apartment blocks which don't have SMATV, and don't allow
residents to use their own dishes either.

Westminster City Council now allows its residents (i.e. tenants and lessees
within their properties) to have a dish so long as planning permission is
obtained and the housing management team informed.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella

Old September 2nd 04, 01:37 PM
Mat C

"John Porcella" wrote in message

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

This sounds exactly like the Milton Keynes situation, which also used to be
a BT analogue cable service, and is now a NTL analogue cable service. When
they took over the system, there was talk of upgrading the system to
digital, but this has failed to materialise. The local council also decided
to allow people to have aerials and dishes on the houses, which were
previously banned under a covanant on the deeds of the house.
I rang NTL and spoke to a knowledgeable person, who informed me that these
was no chance of the cable system being updated to digital in the forseeable
future, as the council won't let them dig up the road, however this has been
subject to coverage in the local paper (many months ago), and it was found t
hat the council had said no such thing. It appears that NTL are unwilling to
update the service, and now that they've left it for too long, most people
have moved to sys or freeview, so they would be on a hiding to nothing.

Mat

Old September 2nd 04, 07:39 PM
Adrian

Mat C wrote:
It appears that NTL are unwilling to
update the service, and now that they've left it for too long, most people
have moved to sys or freeview, so they would be on a hiding to nothing.

Mat

Same around here, I'm in Harrow NW London - we had Videotron analogue
cable installed in 1996, the company later bought by Cable & Wireless
and sold to NTL. The network Videotron installed here is not capable of
broadband (they don't offer it), and barely works with NTL's digital TV
service (drop outs abound). I would like to know if anyone has had their
ex-Videotron service upgraded to broadband capability.

I saw the light when NTL killed my unlimited dial-up surfin' package
deal with the Direct Connection ISP, and Freeview was just launching.
Happily, ADSL via BT/pipex became along at the right time!

I did enjoy my LAST call with NTL customer services...

--
---

Adrian
Old September 2nd 04, 10:17 PM
ChrisM

[...]

you can probably get homechoice (digitaltv+on demand tv + net via bt
phoneline)

Old September 3rd 04, 12:23 AM
John Porcella

"Stephen" wrote in message
[...]

My local authority had to relent somewhat since a European opinion was that
it was a breach of human rights to have a blanket ban.

--
MESSAGE ENDS.
John Porcella