Buying a subwoofer from abroad unheard (serious post)

Old December 9th 03, 10:51 PM
Patrick Navin

Nath wrote:

"Jag" wrote in message ...

SVS Get yourself one of them from svsubwoofer.com

I'm afraid he won't. Because I got one.

He's too proud to do that.

What rubbish. I have indeed considered an SVS. My main concern is buying
*anything* unheard.

Don't dare to attribute motives to me Nathan - you do that a lot, I seem
to remember you telling me I bought Macs because of their looks, bought
Kef Eggs because magazines said they were 'cool' and bought my LCD TV
because I've got too much money. It amazes me that you can be so
arrogant as to believe you know what drives me.

You have no social graces Mr. Marsh. Such a shame given that your
knowledge of subs and RPTVs is pretty good.

--
Patrick

"I did the grabs via a Duomix61 grabber as used by 'security sources'"
"I never grabbed them on a PC mate -they went via IE56575 to a fancy
technical thingie grabber -or something" - un-named Video capture 'expert'

Old December 9th 03, 11:17 PM
Patrick Navin

Nath wrote:

It amazes me that you can be so
arrogant as to believe you know what drives me.

Insanity?

Pop next door and ask Mrs Crossley to make you a cuppa, or maybe if
she's not in Mrs Trimble will

You need to calm down.

Old December 9th 03, 11:22 PM
Jag

SVS Get yourself one of them from svsubwoofer.com

Patrick Navin wrote:
In order to add more bite to my system I'm looking at upgrading from my
twin PSW1000.2's that I use with my Kef Eggs, to a single larger sub
with more oomph.
The reasons for this are that, since I laid a wood floor in my room, the
sub response has diminished a little, necessitating increasing the ouput
of the subs, but I still think they are struggling to deliver the same
slam they delivered ona carpeted floor.
Not wanting to emulate Nathan, but inevitably I've seen a US sub (and I
have to agree with Nath that the Yanks know subs and amplification) that
I fancy but wont be able to get over there to listen to it within the
next few months. Is it really viable to buy a sub unheard?
I know the brand very well - I have their AV receiver the 1050, which is
s simply stunning performer through use of high quality ouput stages and
simple fuss free processing - but is this a fool's errand?

The sub is this one:
http://www.outlawaudio.com//products/lfm1_gallery.html

not pretty - but then US AV gear rarely is.

--
---- UVNET - http://www.uv.net +44 (0)1753 776699
---- Powered by INTERact. http://www.interact.net.uk

Old December 10th 03, 01:45 AM
Nath

You need to calm down.

--
Patrick

Eh eh? :-)

Anyway, which SVS subwoofer would you consider buying?

Old December 10th 03, 09:13 AM
Patrick Navin

Nath wrote:

You need to calm down.

--
Patrick

Eh eh? :-)

Anyway, which SVS subwoofer would you consider buying?

I'm not gonna discuss it with you because you have no objectivity
Nathan. If you were less of a prick I'd consider asking your advice and
getting your opinion, but you seem to have difficulty with your social
skills.

Old December 10th 03, 12:32 PM
Nath

I'm not gonna discuss it with you because you have no objectivity
Nathan. If you were less of a prick I'd consider asking your advice and
getting your opinion, but you seem to have difficulty with your social
skills.

--
Patrick

What's that got to do with anything? I think you're a pillock too, but still
read your posts. Even Max's. Not the one's argueing with Kurt/Stewart
though..

Maybe if you mention what you need the sub for (hifi, AV) more intereted in
SPL output, or low-end.. floorspace allowance, budget etc..

Old December 10th 03, 12:36 PM
Patrick Navin

Nath wrote:
I'm not gonna discuss it with you because you have no objectivity
Nathan. If you were less of a prick I'd consider asking your advice and
getting your opinion, but you seem to have difficulty with your social
skills.

--
Patrick

What's that got to do with anything? I think you're a pillock too, but still
read your posts. Even Max's. Not the one's argueing with Kurt/Stewart
though..

It's to do with everything Nathan. If someone asks a question about an
AV amp for £300 you say "spend more for quality" - same as if someone
asks about subs. You just knock gear and blindly recommend SVS. The more
I read of your stuff the more I start to believe you're either a kid of
about 16 or a twentysomething who still acts 16.

If you want a genuine discussion about subs or AV then you need to let
go of the "send more for quality" rubbish. If someone says their budget
is £500 then by all means reccomend whatever kit you like, but do it
within te budget they've asked for - otherwise your answer is completely
unhelpful.
I fail to see why you don't understand this.

Maybe if you mention what you need the sub for (hifi, AV) more intereted in
SPL output, or low-end.. floorspace allowance, budget etc..

Irrelevant now as I've decided not to buy unheard.

Nathan - did you see an Apex DVD player catch fire?

--
Patrick

"De-Correction is one of the THX mumbo jumbo thingy mi jig, as will as
tonal correction, bass management, Re-Eq.
Checkout the THX site" an AV 'expert', yesterday.

http://www.patrick.navin.btinternet.co.uk/B834763868/

Old December 10th 03, 12:49 PM
Nath

Irrelevant now as I've decided not to buy unheard.

Your loss.

Old December 10th 03, 01:14 PM
Patrick Navin

Nath wrote:

Irrelevant now as I've decided not to buy unheard.

Your loss.

How is it my loss? It'd be a bigger loss to buy an SVS or Outlaw unheard
only to discover I don't like it. Surely even you can see that?

I'm certainly not going to go buying a £500 sub on the recommendation of
someone who, until January 2003 didn't know what top-posting was and who
can't make a statement about Av gear without the prefix "My dealer says..".

So about that Apple Macintosh you claimed to have used, you know, the
one with the 'foibles'. What was it and what were the foibles? I'm
genuinely interested to know. you've proved you *are* knowledgeable
about subwoofers and RPTVs, now prove that your anti-Mac statements
aren't just trolling.

Old December 10th 03, 01:36 PM
Nath

How is it my loss? It'd be a bigger loss to buy an SVS or Outlaw unheard
only to discover I don't like it. Surely even you can see that?

Yes I can. But sometimes you have to take a risk. OK it may pay off, it may
not. It it does you'll have a huge upgrade. If not sell it off a loose a
hundred quid.

If you saw a brand new, with warranty Velodyne HGS-18 for £1000, but on one
condition you couldn't demo it. Would you buy it?

Surely one of the world's best subs doesn't need any second-doubting it's
performance, and whether it's worth it if you have a lesser sub (ie Rel
Q150)

Perhaps if you weren't such a **** someone would invite you round to demo a
SVS.

Quite a few people have SVS's on avforums.. loads on home theatre forum, and
avsforum. Why not read up on some comments first? Surely if there are 100+
comments from owners of (your) sub to a a better SVS or whatever, this at
least will help with your decision.