Tivo on Network: USB Adapter vs. Ethernet Bridge

Old January 8th 04, 06:31 PM
russk

Default Tivo on Network: USB Adapter vs. Ethernet Bridge

Anyone have experience using an ethernet bridge (similar to the D-Link
DWL-810+) with their Series2 Tivo? I recently installed a USB Adapter
which works "fine" but I'm assuming an ethernet bridge would be more
efficient and possible faster. Thanks in advance for any replies.
Old January 8th 04, 06:40 PM
Ted

"russk" wrote in message
om...
Anyone have experience using an ethernet bridge (similar to the D-Link
DWL-810+) with their Series2 Tivo? I recently installed a USB Adapter
which works "fine" but I'm assuming an ethernet bridge would be more
efficient and possible faster. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Don't know if this helps...

I have a DSR-7000 with d-link usb to ethernet with a DWL-614+ works fine.

Anything over 802.11b isn't going to be as fast as strait wires epecially
with usb 2.0.

Old January 8th 04, 06:41 PM
Lenroc

On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:31:39 -0800, russk wrote:

Anyone have experience using an ethernet bridge (similar to the D-Link
DWL-810+) with their Series2 Tivo? I recently installed a USB Adapter
which works "fine" but I'm assuming an ethernet bridge would be more
efficient and possible faster.

I found the DWL-810+ at http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=21 (to save
anyone else the 20 seconds of googling

I don't understand why you think this would be more efficient or faster?

You'd still need to use a USB to Ethernet adapter (since the TiVo doesn't
have an Ethernet port), and then plug an Ethernet cable from the USB
adapter to the bridge. Adding unnecessary links in the chain seems
pointless to me.

What sort of "USB Adapter" are you using that would make you think that
this would be better?

--
Lenroc
Old January 8th 04, 10:56 PM
russk

Lenroc wrote in message news:[email protected]

I found the DWL-810+ at http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=21 (to save
anyone else the 20 seconds of googling

I don't understand why you think this would be more efficient or faster?

You'd still need to use a USB to Ethernet adapter (since the TiVo doesn't
have an Ethernet port), and then plug an Ethernet cable from the USB
adapter to the bridge. Adding unnecessary links in the chain seems
pointless to me.

What sort of "USB Adapter" are you using that would make you think that
this would be better?

Lenroc,

You are 100% correct. I had a momentary brain freeze and thought there
was an ethernet port on the back of the Series2 Tivo.

Thanks for the reply.

-Russ