sometimes transferring just dies partway through...

Old March 1st 15, 03:38 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
danny burstein

Default sometimes transferring just dies partway through...

(if anyone's still around...)

Every so often when I try using TiVo Transfer
with my Mac, only part of the file will
succesfully come across.

To make up numbers: tvshow.TiVo might be 2.21 GB,
but only 15 megabytes, or maybe 125, will come across.

And this will happen with the same numbers if I cancel
the transfer and try again.

_sometimes_ I can pull the file over as an https download,
but often that doesn't work, either.

Currently, for example, I've got a tv program that's 13.58 GB.
TiVo Transfer died at (more or less..) 25 megs.

Using Firefox to download it I've gotten.. 10.7 GB, but
it's stalled there.

Anyone else run into this, and if so, any suggestions? Thanks

Mac OSX 10.6.8

- Note that I've tried today's (and past ones..) transfer
using two separate Macs (disconnecting first one when
going to the second). The problem reproduces...

Thanks again

Old March 1st 15, 11:57 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bilz2765

On 2/28/2015 10:38 PM, danny burstein wrote:
(if anyone's still around...)

Every so often when I try using TiVo Transfer
with my Mac, only part of the file will
succesfully come across.

- Note that I've tried today's (and past ones..) transfer
using two separate Macs (disconnecting first one when
going to the second). The problem reproduces...

What about other shows?
I had similar problem, but just with one show.
Others were OK

---

Old March 1st 15, 01:22 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
danny burstein

In bilz2765 writes:

On 2/28/2015 10:38 PM, danny burstein wrote:
(if anyone's still around...)

Every so often when I try using TiVo Transfer
with my Mac, only part of the file will
succesfully come across.

What about other shows?
I had similar problem, but just with one show.
Others were OK

very roughly it happens with one show
out of 20 or so. ANd, natch, it's that
program each week that I really, really,
want to keep...

- there are also occassionally some recordings
that have a "do not transfer" "flag" on them.
That's part fo the deal with some extra-cost
programs from Amazon, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions about the
periodic glitch

Old March 2nd 15, 03:05 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
bilz2765

On 3/1/2015 8:22 AM, danny burstein wrote:
In bilz2765 writes:

On 2/28/2015 10:38 PM, danny burstein wrote:
(if anyone's still around...)

Every so often when I try using TiVo Transfer
with my Mac, only part of the file will
succesfully come across.

What about other shows?
I had similar problem, but just with one show.
Others were OK

very roughly it happens with one show
out of 20 or so. ANd, natch, it's that
program each week that I really, really,
want to keep...

- there are also occassionally some recordings
that have a "do not transfer" "flag" on them.
That's part fo the deal with some extra-cost
programs from Amazon, etc.

Thanks for any suggestions about the
periodic glitch

Can you watch it on the Tivo?

---

Old March 2nd 15, 03:14 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
danny burstein

In bilz2765 writes:

Every so often when I try using TiVo Transfer
with my Mac, only part of the file will
succesfully come across.

What about other shows?
I had similar problem, but just with one show.
Others were OK

very roughly it happens with one show
out of 20 or so. ANd, natch, it's that
program each week that I really, really,
want to keep...

Thanks for any suggestions about the
periodic glitch

Can you watch it on the Tivo?

Eyup. In fact, that's the way I copied over
one progam I really, really, wanted to keep - I
fed the TiVo stream to a VCR. (Which involved
switching outputs from HDMI, etc...)

Curiously, when I tried again on that show that
show that hiccupped last week and which I had
tried a half dozen different ways, including
reboots...
.... anyway, I gave it a final attempt last night
and it worked.

sigh

thanks again to everyone still here.

Old March 2nd 15, 07:33 PM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Martin Frost me at invalid stanford daht edu

danny burstein writes:

In bilz2765 writes:

[...]

I see this sort of problem all the time in shows transferred to my
iPad from my Roamio (and my previous Premiere). Either the transfer
will fail in the middle of the show, or it will finish but playback
from the iPad will fail at a fixed point in the show. TiVo says it
must be a network problem, but my network works fine for everything
else.

If a show fails to download or playback fails, I can generally
download the show again successfully, and if that fails I can almost
always just stream the show to the iPad (albeit with delays for
resync'ing when I skip ahead).

Also transfers to the iPad often won't play back the last 30 to 60
seconds of a show, so if the content goes right to the end, I have to
watch the last 30 seconds on the TiVo itself or make the show record
for an extra minute or two.

All very annoying -- and inconsistent, so hard to help TiVo debug.

Martin
Old March 4th 15, 12:47 AM posted to alt.video.ptv.tivo
Drew Lawson[_2_]

In article m
danny burstein writes:
(if anyone's still around...)

Every so often when I try using TiVo Transfer
with my Mac, only part of the file will
succesfully come across.

Sorry, been semi-offline for a few days.

This is annoyingly familiar, and I've found an unsatisfying answer
by searching online.

Apparently this happens when there is some sort of corruption or
degradation in the stored content on the TiVo (signal glitch, power
twitch when recording, who knows). The playback path works fine
and/or recovers from it, but the file transfer path just quits.

Once I found this explanation, I watched a truncated file to see
where it ended. Then I looked at that part of the show on the TiVo.
There was a tiny "wobble" in the playback. It was nothing I would
have noticed while watching.

I have not put any time into asking whether TiVo is fixing this
issue, but I really wish they would.

--
Drew Lawson | "But the senator, while insisting he was not