Query about AV receivers

Old March 18th 10, 10:55 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
Tony

Default Query about AV receivers

A couple of years ago I bought an all-in-one Upscaling DVD player / 5.1
surround sound system. I knew the limitations, but I had a budget and
before I spent a lot on an AV receiver + speakers I wanted to make sure
it would actually improve my enjoyment of movies, that the speakers
would look okay, and that the shape of the room wouldn't be an issue.

It proved all those things and now I'm looking around at options for
upgrading to an entry level AV Receiver.

I just wanted to confirm my understanding of something. Because the
current system is an all-in-one, it doesn't have any HDMI inputs. It
has a single optical audio input. At the moment, I therefore have the
PS3 HDMI going into the TV, and the digital audio out going into the
all-in-one system.

The receivers I've been looking at have 4 HDMI inputs and 1 HDMI output.
So, am I right in thinking that I would switch the PS3 HDMI into the AV
receiver (and say, Sky HD), and plug the AV receiver into the TV's HDMI.
From them on, I would switch the picture and sound from the AV receiver
and it changes which image signal goes to the TV?

Sorry it's such a basic question, but I don't want to make any stupid
assumptions and screw up the buying process.

--
Tony Evans
blog - http://perceptionistruth.com/

Old March 18th 10, 12:07 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
Sean Black

In article , Tony
writes
[...]

From them on, I would switch the picture and sound from the AV receiver
and it changes which image signal goes to the TV?

Yep, that's pretty much it.
--
Sean Black
Old March 18th 10, 05:43 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
R. Mark Clayton

"Tony" wrote in message
[...]

From them on, I would switch the picture and sound from the AV receiver
and it changes which image signal goes to the TV?

Sorry it's such a basic question, but I don't want to make any stupid
assumptions and screw up the buying process.

That's how mine works.

BD -- HDMI -- Amp
Sat -- coax -- Amp
TV (has FreeSat 5.1) -- optical -- Amp
DAT -- optical -- Amp
others -- analog -- Amp

Haven't got time to play though...

Old March 19th 12, 03:39 PM
honeymonster honeymonster is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Mark Clayton View Post
"Tony" lid wrote in message
[...]

From them on, I would switch the picture and sound from the AV receiver
and it changes which image signal goes to the TV?

Sorry it's such a basic question, but I don't want to make any stupid
assumptions and screw up the buying process.

That's how mine works.

BD -- HDMI -- Amp
Sat -- coax -- Amp
TV (has FreeSat 5.1) -- optical -- Amp
DAT -- optical -- Amp
others -- analog -- Amp

Haven't got time to play though...

--
Tony Evans
blog -
http://perceptionistruth.com/
books - http://www.bookthing.co.uk/
[ anything below this line wasn't written by me ]
yes, route everything through your AV receiver via HDMI, then the sound and picture are switched together, so you always have the correct sound track for the video. Also depending upon the receiver, some of them offer upscaling of the video signal up to 1080p, making standard def images look closer in quality to HD signals. My Onkyo TX-NR515 does a great job at upscaling if you are looking for a recommendation, but not sure on your budget.

DTH (direct to home) satellite receivers don't have GPS single channel receivers... Max Power High definition TV 8 March 26th 07 08:21 AM
PVR Query André Coutanche UK digital tv 12 August 25th 05 11:58 PM
MS Sub Query JK UK home cinema 2 March 21st 04 09:34 PM
Sky+ Query Dorrington UK sky 3 January 21st 04 09:51 AM
FTV QUERY Stephen Neal UK sky 0 August 21st 03 04:39 PM