Tuner Required?

Old December 29th 06, 05:47 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Peter H

Default Tuner Required?

I'm considering purchasing an LCD tv in the new year and have noticed
that some don't include a tuner.

I receive my tv signal from a cable company via coaxial and am supplied
with the digital box that works as a channel changer etc.

Is there any risk to me in purchasing a tv set that does not have a
tuner, assuming that I stay with my current provider?

tia

Peter H

Old December 29th 06, 06:03 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Tom Horsley

On 29 Dec 2006 08:47:16 -0800
"Peter H" wrote:

I'm considering purchasing an LCD tv in the new year and have noticed
that some don't include a tuner.

I receive my tv signal from a cable company via coaxial and am supplied
with the digital box that works as a channel changer etc.

Is there any risk to me in purchasing a tv set that does not have a
tuner, assuming that I stay with my current provider?

You're wrong :-). All "TV"s have a tuner (its the law - at least in the US).
Fortunately companies are allowed to sell things they can call "monitors"
(and stores can stock them next to "TV"s :-).

I consider it an advantage to have a monitor rather than a TV. The tuner
and other junk like cable card support all jack up the price, and if you
get your signals via a cable company cable box, you don't need any of that
expensive hardware in your set anyway.
Old December 29th 06, 06:54 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
whosbest54

In article . com,
says...

I'm considering purchasing an LCD tv in the new year and have noticed
that some don't include a tuner.

I receive my tv signal from a cable company via coaxial and am supplied
with the digital box that works as a channel changer etc.

Is there any risk to me in purchasing a tv set that does not have a
tuner, assuming that I stay with my current provider?

As another poster pointed out, sets sold without any tuner are suppose to
be called monitors.

The answer to your question depends on how you want to receive digital
stations and their source.

If you just want to plug in your current box to the TV, then you don't
need a tuner. But that likely won't get you any HD stations.

If you plan to pay the cable company for one of their HD boxes and get a
HD tier of some sort, then again, you won't need a tuner. But you'll
have to get a different box.

If you want to get any local digital TV stations, including any HD
stations, from over the air, then you need a TV with a digital ATSC over
the air tuner and an antenna.

If you want to try to get any unencrypted cable digital stations,
including any HD stations carried that way if they have any, then you
need a TV with a built in QAM digital tuner and you don't need a box for
that.

whosbest54

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/

http://www.geocities.com/whosbest54/rmb.html

Old December 29th 06, 07:40 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv

I personally wouldn't buy anything that didn't come wit a built in ATSC
tuner.

Old December 29th 06, 11:49 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
RickyBobby

wrote in message
ps.com...
I personally wouldn't buy anything that didn't come wit a built in ATSC
tuner.

Truer words have never been posted. The cost of HD LCD televisions is
dropping so quickly that a person would be working against themself to try
to find a monitor with comparable specs.

Old December 30th 06, 02:24 PM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Wes Newell

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 02:50:43 -0800, -hh wrote:

IIRC, the real cost of an integrated ATSC tuner is incredibly low, like
under $20.

Yes, try under $3 for a 3 in 1 tuner with better than before
performance.

http://www.eeproductcenter.com/showP...ticleID=439176

Old December 31st 06, 02:40 AM posted to alt.tv.tech.hdtv
Tom Horsley

On 30 Dec 2006 02:50:43 -0800
"-hh" wrote:

IIRC, the real cost of an integrated ATSC tuner is incredibly low, like
under $20.

That may be the real cost, but in the 42" LCDs I looked at the
price difference between TVs and monitors was more like $4000
versus $2500 (of course, time has passed since then, no doubt they
are both cheaper now but I still doubt that "it really doesn't cost
that much").