Service Required?

Old January 16th 04, 12:59 AM
MegaZone

Default Service Required?

(Chris Otto) shaped the electrons to say:
I am just beginning to look for TiVo type players. I like the

alt.video.ptv.tivo is - that a-way. ;-)

know I will forfeit the programming guide, but I cannot seem to get a
straight answer. Is service *required*? If I buy the unit, is it
functional right out of the box?

Yes, the unit is basically a doorstop without service. That goes for
ReplayTV and TiVo Series2 units.

Some RTV units came with lifetime service - any model up through the
3000 has it, and the 5500 started off being sold with 3 years of
service.

The 4000, 4500, 5000 - and now the 5500 - have lifetime or monthly
services options. Currently RTV and TiVo have the same price - $299
lifetime or $12.95 monthly.

If you don't want the service (frankly you'd be missing out on the
whole point of a PVR without it) you have some options.

- Buy a Toshiba TiVo DVD or Pioneer TiVo DVD-RW unit. These include
the TiVo Basic service for free. It is a stripped down service that
is better than a dumb VCR, but not as good as the full subscription.
And you have a 45 day trial of the full service to see if you might
like it. If so you can subscribe.

- Buy a used TiVo or RTV that already includes a lifetime
subscription. You can find them on eBay regularly.

- Buy an older TiVo Series1 without a subscription. Those units can
be used as a 'digital VCR' without a sub.

- Buy something else, like a Scenium DVR, a Pioneer 510H HDD/DVD
recorder, etc. There are plain DVRs on the market from a number of
vendors that don't have any associated service or guide data.
Basically VCR style recording to a hard drive.

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762
--
URL:mailto:megazoneatmegazone.org Gweep, Discordian, Author, Engineer, me.
URL:http://www.megazone.org/ URL:http://www.eyrie-productions.com/ Eris
Old January 16th 04, 11:56 PM
Chris Otto

Thank you very much! I will look into some of these other models. I
am really disappointed though to hear that this is the strategy with
TiVo and ReplayTV. They have all the hardware and software to deliver
these great features and you can't unlock them without a subscription.
If the online programming features are so fantastic, then why not
rely on this to attract subscriptions? I guess holding them back
guarantees that people will sign up for the service, but I imagine it
is also deterring some from entering the market (like myself).
Chris

Old January 17th 04, 12:59 AM
Jack Ak

"Chris Otto" wrote in message om...
Thank you very much! I will look into some of these other models. I
am really disappointed though to hear that this is the strategy with
TiVo and ReplayTV. They have all the hardware and software to deliver
these great features and you can't unlock them without a subscription.
If the online programming features are so fantastic, then why not
rely on this to attract subscriptions? I guess holding them back
guarantees that people will sign up for the service, but I imagine it
is also deterring some from entering the market (like myself).
Chris

The basic TiVo recorder doesn't have all the software to deliver the
great features. A continuing stream of program guide data is needed
to make the features work. A monthly subscription fee pays for data
to make the features work and periodic software updates.

You can buy a lifetime subscription for a TiVo Series2 and not have
a monthly subscription fee.
Old January 17th 04, 12:14 PM
Bao H. Lammy

"Chris Otto" wrote
Thank you very much! I will look into some of these other models. I
am really disappointed though to hear that this is the strategy with
TiVo and ReplayTV. They have all the hardware and software to deliver
these great features and you can't unlock them without a subscription.
If the online programming features are so fantastic, then why not
rely on this to attract subscriptions? I guess holding them back
guarantees that people will sign up for the service, but I imagine it
is also deterring some from entering the market (like myself).

Besides the reasons others gave, not including a lifetime subscription
and raising the cost of the item (greatly), the current model provides
the user with a choice of how they will pay for the subscription. Some
people want a very low price for the hardware and a forever-type
subscription while others object and get the product lifetime option.
Choice is good, no? And if anything, it opens the market further
to people who can't come up with nearly $500 to enter the market,
the cost of a unit + product lifetime subscription, which was about
the cost ReplayTV charged when they only sold equivalent models
but with no monthly option (and basically forced the user to buy a
product lifetime subscription upfront).

Old February 24th 04, 08:09 PM
MegaZone

PCB shaped the electrons to say:
I had the same questions as Chris Otto, but I am still wondering about
TiVo:
1 - Do these Basic models require a phone connection?

They require one for initial setup, then they need either a phone line
or a network connection (USB adapter) for ongoing guide data.

2 - What are the features that are reduced with the Basic models?

See tables:
http://www.tivo.com/1.1.2.asp
http://www.tivo.com/1.1.3.asp

Old February 25th 04, 01:19 PM
Anders Tomilsson

(MegaZone) wrote in message . ..
PCB shaped the electrons to say:
I had the same questions as Chris Otto, but I am still wondering about
TiVo:
1 - Do these Basic models require a phone connection?

They require one for initial setup, then they need either a phone line
or a network connection (USB adapter) for ongoing guide data.

2 - What are the features that are reduced with the Basic models?

See tables:
http://www.tivo.com/1.1.2.asp
http://www.tivo.com/1.1.3.asp

-MZ, RHCE #806199299900541, ex-CISSP #3762

This is off the beaten path (and I'm coming in late), but there are
alternatives which are not specifically ReplayTV or Tivo. 1) MythTV
provides the information|programming service by screen-scraping; i.e.,
the programming goes to http://www.tvguide.com/listings, grabs the
data, and converts it to a useable format. I don't have all of the
particulars in front of me but I believe MythTV is something which
falls into the purvey of the Linux world. 2) The ATI graphics cards
provide several scenarios. The AIW (All-In-Wonder) flavors of cards
generally come out several weeks|months after the initial, new models
(e.g., the current AIW card is 9800 Pro but the current
top-of-the-line ATI card is the XT. The AIW XT will eventually come
out, push the price of the XT down, and the AIW version will cost a
bit more.) I don't know if this particular feature started with the
9700 or 9800 - but I know it is true with the 9800 - free, permanent,
open access to the Gemstar data service is part of the ownership of
the card. (Gemstar is part of TVGuide) This obviously means
programming related to this is very straightforward. The AIW cards
come with sofware [and as of the 9700] a remote for handling
programming issues so you can persist the feed to your hard drive for
later viewing (or editing). You could probably find some way to do
this with the other ATI types of "TV cards" available at your nearest
source of circuit cards. There are also a number of online and
magazine articles which show you how to create your own projection
televisions using AIW ATI + ... + etc. with the ability to record and
play back shows as you desire.

hth.

AT.

Old February 25th 04, 02:25 PM