local TV and the EPG

Old January 7th 19, 01:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

Default local TV and the EPG

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019 22:17:02 -0000, "Apd" wrote:

wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

Some of us were writing software before personal/home computing!
Nothing like trying to debug a program over a 300 baud teletype
terminal to a mainframe 2000 miles away!

--
AnthonyL
Old January 7th 19, 01:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 08:38:02 +0000, Roderick Stewart
wrote:

My impression is that the ones who get ahead in computing,
as in anything else that is new to them, are the ones who are willing
to have a go. The ones who don't know anything about computers are the
ones who say (almost proudly it seems) "I don't know anything about
this" and never make any effort to find out.

An annoyance are those who say they won't use any Social media such as
Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook (ok they may have a point there) and
others and when I ask have they ever tried they say "no".

--
AnthonyL
Old January 7th 19, 02:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

Some of us were writing software before personal/home computing!
Nothing like trying to debug a program over a 300 baud teletype
terminal to a mainframe 2000 miles away!

How about trying to debug a program when you have to fill in a coding sheet,
get it converted to punched cards and then wait for the listing of the
results when the program is run.

My first introduction to programming in BASIC, at the age of 13 in 1976, was
on a summer school which ICL ran at their training centre at Beaumont (near
Windsor). We had to use this method, and it was intensely irritating to make
a trivial syntax or logic error, and have to wait several hours to see that
I'd gone wrong, take a few minutes to identify and correct it and then wait
another several hours to see that I'd made the correct change. It's a shame
that they couldn't offer teletype and acoustic coupler link to the
mainframe.

It was a fantastic improvement when I got home and was able to use a micro
at the local teacher-training college on a Wednesday afternoon when the
sporty people were playing rugby, and get instant feedback of results. It
was on a teletype which was slow to list a program, but it you saw results
almost immediately. I remember the day the fast optical paper tape reader
broke, so they had to use the mechanical reader in the teletype to load the
BASIC interpreter - an hour later we were ready to go.

Then I graduated to the "joys" of an RM 380Z at school, saving programs on
audio cassette and the problems of tape dropouts and wrong recording level.
Proper 8" floppies (and later 5 1/4 and then 3.5 ones) were a dramatic
improvement - especially as they allowed random rather then serial access to
saved programs: you didn't have to wind a tape to a given counter position
to locate one specific program.

Old January 7th 19, 04:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Apd

"Roderick Stewart" wrote:
On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 00:14:48 -0000, "Apd" wrote:
Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest.... I do apologise... There
was some lack of detail in my post.

Well, It appears that most here have (had) technical careers so are
probably not a fair representation of joe public, many of whom will
not be computer literate (as opposed to knowing how to use computer
appliances like smart phones). Thanks for the further info.

I wasn't "computer literate" until I sat down in front of a computer
and played around with it to find out what it could do. This was in my
thirties, and nobody had ever taught me anything about them.

It was the same for me - I'm entirely self-taught. Started as an
operator feeding mainframes and minis with punched cards and mag tape.
During any idle time (usually on night shifts) I would try to make the
machines do stuff for me by learning Fortran and assembler. The first
useful program I wrote, as an operator, was a shift roster. I later
became a programmer for that company. Personal computers came along
much later.

[...] If you convince yourself
that you can't do something before you even try, then you definitely
never will, but if you are willing to give it a go, then even if you
never become an expert you might still learn enough to be useful. It's
got nothing to do with age.

I agree.

Old January 7th 19, 04:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Apd

wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

Some of us were writing software before personal/home computing!

Yep, that's me also.

Nothing like trying to debug a program over a 300 baud teletype
terminal to a mainframe 2000 miles away!

How about trying to debug a program when you have to fill in a coding sheet,
get it converted to punched cards and then wait for the listing of the
results when the program is run.

Luckily I didn't have to put up with any of that nonsense. I punched
my own cards and ran my own jobs. Being an operator had certain
advantages. Later, as a programmer, we were allocated regular slots of
hands-on time to run our own stuff.

Old January 7th 19, 07:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 07/01/2019 12:37, AnthonyL wrote:

An annoyance are those who say they won't use any Social media such as
Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook (ok they may have a point there) and
others and when I ask have they ever tried they say "no".

I will turn this argument around.
I can work collaboratively using Box and Dropbox; I can chat to the
people who share my interests using Newsgroups; all the people I want to
speak to socially are in my Skype address book and my e-mail address book.
So why should I register with the fashionable social media platforms
when they leak personal data like a sieve and are not the only options
available?

Jim

Old January 8th 19, 01:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:44:33 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 07/01/2019 12:37, AnthonyL wrote:

An annoyance are those who say they won't use any Social media such as
Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook (ok they may have a point there) and
others and when I ask have they ever tried they say "no".

I will turn this argument around.
I can work collaboratively using Box and Dropbox; I can chat to the
people who share my interests using Newsgroups; all the people I want to
speak to socially are in my Skype address book and my e-mail address book.
So why should I register with the fashionable social media platforms
when they leak personal data like a sieve and are not the only options
available?

Because WhatsApp is better than the Microsoft crippled Skype. Have
you tried it?

--
AnthonyL
Old January 8th 19, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

Some of us were writing software before personal/home computing!
Nothing like trying to debug a program over a 300 baud teletype
terminal to a mainframe 2000 miles away!

How about trying to debug a program when you have to fill in a coding sheet,
get it converted to punched cards and then wait for the listing of the
results when the program is run.

DTGTTS

Actually it was quicker to stay behind and punch your own cards, then
learn how to cover the odd hole to apply a correction before
re-running.

My first introduction to programming in BASIC, at the age of 13 in 1976, was
on a summer school which ICL ran at their training centre at Beaumont (near
Windsor). We had to use this method, and it was intensely irritating to make
a trivial syntax or logic error, and have to wait several hours to see that
I'd gone wrong, take a few minutes to identify and correct it and then wait
another several hours to see that I'd made the correct change. It's a shame
that they couldn't offer teletype and acoustic coupler link to the
mainframe.

Algol I think, c1966.

It was a fantastic improvement when I got home and was able to use a micro
at the local teacher-training college on a Wednesday afternoon when the
sporty people were playing rugby, and get instant feedback of results. It
was on a teletype which was slow to list a program, but it you saw results
almost immediately. I remember the day the fast optical paper tape reader
broke, so they had to use the mechanical reader in the teletype to load the
BASIC interpreter - an hour later we were ready to go.

Then I graduated to the "joys" of an RM 380Z at school, saving programs on
audio cassette and the problems of tape dropouts and wrong recording level.

Sharp MZ-80A (https://mz-80a.com/) - load the tape at the beginning of
the day, run the program, shut down at the end of the day. Put quite a
few in with businesses.

Old January 8th 19, 01:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

On 07/01/2019 12:37, AnthonyL wrote:

An annoyance are those who say they won't use any Social media such as
Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook (ok they may have a point there) and
others and when I ask have they ever tried they say "no".

I will turn this argument around.
I can work collaboratively using Box and Dropbox; I can chat to the
people who share my interests using Newsgroups; all the people I want to
speak to socially are in my Skype address book and my e-mail address book.
So why should I register with the fashionable social media platforms
when they leak personal data like a sieve and are not the only options
available?

Because WhatsApp is better than the Microsoft crippled Skype. Have
you tried it?

What on? I haven't got (or want) a smartphone, and the PC version
requires Windows 8 or above and even then doesn't allow voice or video
calls. The best I can offer is Win7, which will run Skype.

Also, WhatsApp is owned by faecesbook :-(

Jim

Old January 8th 19, 09:52 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/01/2019 12:41, Indy Jess John wrote:

Because WhatsApp is better than the Microsoft crippled Skype.* Have
you tried it?

What on?

A reasonably modern computer.