local TV and the EPG

Old January 3rd 19, 02:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
David Woolley[_2_]

Default local TV and the EPG

On 02/01/2019 14:55, Bill Wright wrote:
how is the EPG and the LCN list transmitted?

You can tell that the basic logical channel information is contained in
the mux to which the channel relates, just by watching a set do an autotune.

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/operations/multiplexes seems to suggest
that the EPG is duplicated, in full, across all the standard muxes,
although the wording isn't entirely clear. That would seem to make
sense from a resilience point of view. Although a bit old, 1.17 of
https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0027/37089/guidance.pdf
seems to confirm this.

Old January 4th 19, 03:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dickie mint[_2_]

On 02/01/2019 14:55, Bill Wright wrote:
I was wondering how this works. Actually, as a preliminary question, how
is the EPG and the LCN list transmitted? It is on one mux, duplicated in
its entirety on several muxes, shared between muxes, or what? How is it
regionalised?

To the particular matter of the EPG and the local TV stations, some main
txs send out different local stations in different directions. How does
the EPG handle that? I notice that a retune here sometimes puts Made in
Leeds in the 800s, but there is no possibility of receiving the ch56 mux
here at a strength that would produce even a badly pixellated picture.

Bill

You could always wade through ETSIs!!!

Starting with https://weber.fi.eu.org/leffakone/docs/DVB_SI-2.pdf
Old January 4th 19, 06:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

As I have 4 TV aerials aligned to Waltham, Sutton Coldfield, Oxford and Sandy Heath, I can offer some comment on this.

The 4 aerials are channel processed and combined together to the point that *all* TV sets get 4 BBC1 regions and 4 ITV regions plus the ITV+1 regions as well as 20 Local BBC radio stations.

The EPG when clicked onto shows all the programming on LCN 1 and LCN 3 which is one of the transmitters plus the programme info for the 5 local radio broadcast from 5is Tx.

This makes sense as everyone else in the household use channels 1 and 3 for BBC1 and ITV and the EPG updates OK.

The other three BBC1, ITV and ITV+1 and 15 other BBC local radio stations channels are in the 800 series of LCNs, and when I scroll to the EPG page for these channels and stations, the programme info is blank. However, if I wait, the EPG does eventually populate with the programming for these 3 regions when I move the cursor to the radio or tv station.

So presumably, when selecting out of transmitter area channels in the 800 series of the EPG, the EPG must be switching to that transmitter to grab the local radio and BBC1/ITV EPG data as it presumably would not be available on the transmitter being used for LCN1 and LCN3? Otherwise all TXes would need to carry the entire EPG for all BBC1 and all ITV1 regions and all BBC local radio stations?

This is repeatable Unless I deliberately change channels between all the four regions in order to update the EPG.
Old January 4th 19, 06:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Friday, 4 January 2019 17:15:38 UTC, wrote:
As I have 4 TV aerials aligned to Waltham, Sutton Coldfield, Oxford and Sandy Heath, I can offer some comment on this.

The 4 aerials are channel processed and combined together to the point that *all* TV sets get 4 BBC1 regions and 4 ITV regions plus the ITV+1 regions as well as 20 Local BBC radio stations.

Whew! I have one satellite dish and a vertical dipole (as recommended by Bill Wright. I get every BBC and ITV TV region, and more channels on the FM radio than my receiver can store plus DAB (without an external aerial).

Old January 4th 19, 11:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

You cannot get BBC local radio on Freesat

I am in Northampton and I can pick up BabC local radio stations that I cannot get on local FM or DAB.

I get BBC Stoke, Wiltshire, London, cov and warks, gloucs, Hereford and Worcester, Lincoln, three counties, London, Norfolk, Cambridge plus others that escape my memory.

I have Freesat here too and there is nothing wrong with a bit of duplication and redundancy should there be transmission problems.
Old January 5th 19, 10:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I get BBC Stoke, Wiltshire, London, cov and warks, gloucs, Hereford and Worcester, Lincoln, three counties, London, Norfolk, Cambridge plus others that escape my memory.

And of course they're all full of fascinating programmes.

Bill

Well both the mother and mother in law like listening to "their local" BBC radio station when looking after their granddaughter......

So getting the out of area BBC local radio stations was worth it for the free babysitting services!

Neither of them know how to use a computer for internet radio so easiest solution was to get them on the TV sets.

How cunning. Tech used for a good purpose.

Bill

The M.I.L was born in Worcestershire, the F.I.L was born in the Black country and mother was born in Gloucester.

The mother comes down on the bus for a few days at a time. She really loves her radio and she does not have a TV licence at home. She gave up TV when her B&W set developed a fault and no one knew how to repair it and of course she could not go out an buy a new B&W TV set.

the MIL and FIL come down by car and also spend days at a time.

Their baby sitting services help us out a lot so we try to give them their home comforts so that they will come again.

All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and computers are a challenge....
Old January 5th 19, 11:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Apd

wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.