EPG is now/next and 7 day EPG on Goodmans GDB3

Old December 20th 04, 01:36 PM
r_mervart

Default EPG is now/next and 7 day EPG on Goodmans GDB3

1. I have Goodmans GDB3 box with EPG is now/next. What I am finding, and
ignored to date, is that some programmes on some channels are displayed as
Current but there is nothing showing ? For example this morning on Ch 28
DiscoveryH&L it said Current: A Place in Greece, between 10.00 and 10.30.
It was 10.15 when I looked but there was nothing playing. Similarly on 29
UKTV Food there was supposed to be S. Grigson's Weekend on between 10.00
and 11.00 but nothing was showing.
???
2. Is this box compatible with 7 day EPG and if yes how/when I could get
it

Thanks
roman

Old December 20th 04, 01:54 PM
Andy Burns

r_mervart wrote:

For example this morning on Ch 28
DiscoveryH&L it said Current: A Place in Greece, between 10.00 and 10.30.
It was 10.15 when I looked but there was nothing playing. Similarly on 29
UKTV Food there was supposed to be S. Grigson's Weekend on between 10.00
and 11.00 but nothing was showing.

Do you have a TUTV subscription?
Old December 20th 04, 01:58 PM
Max Demian

"r_mervart" wrote in message
1. I have Goodmans GDB3 box with EPG is now/next. What I am finding,
and
ignored to date, is that some programmes on some channels are displayed as
Current but there is nothing showing ? For example this morning on Ch 28
DiscoveryH&L it said Current: A Place in Greece, between 10.00 and 10.30.
It was 10.15 when I looked but there was nothing playing. Similarly on 29
UKTV Food there was supposed to be S. Grigson's Weekend on between 10.00
and 11.00 but nothing was showing.

You have to subscribe to Top-Up TV to get those channels, which you can't do
as your box doesn't have a slot for a card. Just ignore them.

--
Max Demian

Old December 20th 04, 02:04 PM
r_mervart

"Max Demian" wrote in message
"r_mervart" wrote in message
[...]

I did not realize they are Top-Up TV channels which I cannot get. Thanks
for that.

roman

Old December 21st 04, 10:58 AM

You can update the software that runs the GDB2 and GDB3 so that it will
display the 7 day EPG and hide any subscription channels.

Its available from http://gdb.freddys-utilities.co.uk/ but I would also
advise you to have a read through the GDB2 forum at Digital Spy
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...1&page=1&pp=25

Both the Goodmans set top boxes have a serial socket enabling them to
be updated by a similarly equipped PC and a serial modem lead, a
facility that is sadly lacking on many of the other boxes and one I
will definately be looking for on my next box.

Old December 21st 04, 06:48 PM
Charles Gill

wrote in message
ups.com...
You can update the software that runs the GDB2 and GDB3 so that it will
display the 7 day EPG and hide any subscription channels.

Its available from http://gdb.freddys-utilities.co.uk/ but I would also
advise you to have a read through the GDB2 forum at Digital Spy
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...1&page=1&pp=25

Both the Goodmans set top boxes have a serial socket enabling them to
be updated by a similarly equipped PC and a serial modem lead, a
facility that is sadly lacking on many of the other boxes and one I
will definately be looking for on my next box.

Forgive my ignorance, chaps, but being relatively new to all of this I'm a
bit confused.

I have a GDB3 box and the EPG only covers "now and next". The box has an
option in configuration (I think) to search for upgrades. Each time I do
this it spends about a minute doing something then comes back with "No
upgrades available". It's always done this, since new (about 6 months old).
It also tells me that it is set to update automatically but if it ever has I
certainly haven't been aware of it.

I never switch it off or to standby and for probably 90% of the time it's
tuned to BBC1.

Furthermore, if I go to the configuration menu it tells me that the upgrade
version (I presume) is V.4.0.

I have taken a look at the link above and it suggest that this
http://upgrades.digilook.net/GDB3%207%20day%20EPG%20beta%202%20(Test%200.5).bin
is the downloadable software upgrade. Taking out the bits and bobs this
reads "GDB3_7_day_EPG_beta_2_(Test_0.5).bin" (or thereabouts), dated end
August.

IS this the latest? If it is, has anyone got a clue why this has not
downoaded automatically?

Indeed, is the V.4.0 that my GD3 boasts having in fact the downloaded
version of this software?

If so, how come I ain't got a 7 day EPG?

Or perhaps I have but I just don't know how to drive the little bugger.

Like I said, I'm a bit confused. Any help gratefully appreciated.

Chas

Chas

CO

Old December 21st 04, 06:57 PM
r_mervart

wrote in message
ups.com...
You can update the software that runs the GDB2 and GDB3 so that it will
display the 7 day EPG and hide any subscription channels.

Its available from http://gdb.freddys-utilities.co.uk/ but I would also
advise you to have a read through the GDB2 forum at Digital Spy
http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/...1&page=1&pp=25

Both the Goodmans set top boxes have a serial socket enabling them to
be updated by a similarly equipped PC and a serial modem lead, a
facility that is sadly lacking on many of the other boxes and one I
will definately be looking for on my next box.

Could you be a little more specific as to what I need to get (cables etc)
and do
to update the box from PC, assuming that I would download updated software
on to the PC first. Also, is there not going to be over the air update at
some point
in time, hopefully soon?

roman

Old December 21st 04, 09:07 PM
Peter Duncanson

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:48:06 +0000 (UTC), "Charles Gill"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

I am new to the GDB3 - I bought one two days ago!

The latest version of the software appears to be "GDB3_7day_epg.bin" dated
16th of December 2004.
There are two ways of getting the update:

1. Waiting until it is downloaded automatically

2. Download the file GDB3_7day_epg.bin from a website to you computer and
copy it to the GDB3 via a cable between the two.

Regarding 1: if you look at the OAD schedule at
http://www.dtg.org.uk/retailer/download_schedule.pl
you will see that updated software is available for only one type of box at
a time.

Regarding 2: The sw version you mention above
"GDB3_7_day_EPG_beta_2_(Test_0.5).bin" is a beta version (as can be deduced
from the word "beta" in the middle!). This is computer jargon for a version
that is still under test and is available for use if you wish to take the
risk of problems. However that is not the latest version.

http://gdb.freddys-utilities.co.uk/ has links to two Download locations. At
the moment Download Location One is not up to date.
You will find the file needed at Download Location Two
http://gdb.freddys-utilities.co.uk/index2.php

The "The Guide on how to update" refers to GDB2 and the bin file "UK_ 2_1_5.
bin". I assume that these instructions apply to the GDB3 and the latest bin
file "GDB3_7day_epg.bin".

--
Peter Duncanson
UK
Old December 21st 04, 10:10 PM
Charles Gill

"Peter Duncanson" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:48:06 +0000 (UTC), "Charles Gill"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
[...]

Thank you Peter. I shall endeavour to muddle through this and keep you
posted

Merry Christmas

Chas

Old December 22nd 04, 12:32 AM
Max Demian

"r_mervart" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

To upload through the serial lead, is it necessary for the STB to be
connected to the TV (for onscreen menus etc)?

(Bit awkward as the TV is on the other side of the room from the computer.)

--
Max Demian

Goodmans GDB3 digi box Jon Culshaw UK digital tv 29 December 30th 04 09:09 PM
Goodmans GDB3 update André Coutanche UK digital tv 6 September 7th 04 10:37 AM
goodmans gdb3 Vi. UK digital tv 4 August 26th 04 12:40 PM
Goodmans GDB3 software upgrade Richarddaytol UK digital tv 16 May 21st 04 07:42 PM
Goodmans GDB3 Windscreen problem GlennH UK digital tv 2 March 30th 04 10:34 PM