LCD Full HD or compromise?

Old March 19th 07, 05:00 PM posted to uk.media.home-cinema

Default LCD Full HD or compromise?

I'm looking at buying a LCD TV . Price and lookswise the SAMSUNG
LE-40F71B is looking quite good because it's 1080p.

As a source I use sky+ only, which I will upgrade to sky+ HD, but the
HD content I will watch is only likely to be sport and the odd movie,
which is only about 20% of my viewing.

My questions:
1) is there a better screen around at a similar price (or lower). (I'd
prefer a 42" but these seem much more expensive for 1080p)
2) as 80% of my viewing is in SD, will be upscaling make SD look like
a dog's dinner? Would it be better to buy a 720p screen for a better
picture 80% of the time and slightly lower-res compromise for 20%?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old March 23rd 07, 11:19 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
Dr Hfuhruhurr

On Mar 23, 12:03 am, DCA wrote:
wrote:
I'm looking at buying a LCD TV . Price and lookswise the SAMSUNG
LE-40F71B is looking quite good because it's 1080p.

As a source I use sky+ only, which I will upgrade to sky+ HD, but the
HD content I will watch is only likely to be sport and the odd movie,
which is only about 20% of my viewing.

My questions:
1) is there a better screen around at a similar price (or lower). (I'd
prefer a 42" but these seem much more expensive for 1080p)
2) as 80% of my viewing is in SD, will be upscaling make SD look like
a dog's dinner? Would it be better to buy a 720p screen for a better
picture 80% of the time and slightly lower-res compromise for 20%?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Want to post a link to that model - can't find it...have you typed it
correctly?-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...e-21/ref=nosim

Some good reviews too - with particlaur reference to SD.

Doc

Old March 25th 07, 11:05 AM posted to uk.media.home-cinema
StainlessSteelRat

DCA wrote:
How much are you looking at paying?
You can buy a 50 panny plasma for 1200 (2200 at Currys) or a 47"
Sharp for 1400 (nearer 3000 at Currys)

The 46" Sharp?

--
StainlessSteelRat
http://www.stainlesssteelrat.net

"Intellectuals solve problems, geniuses prevent them."
-- Albert Einstein