Radio Broadcasts

Old January 9th 19, 09:54 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

Default Radio Broadcasts

Not sure if this is a good place to ask, if not tell me and I'll move on.

I appreciate the days of a DJ siting next to a turntable putting records
on one by one no longer exists. Does anybody involved in a radio station
monitor what is going on though?

Listening to Mellow Magic on DAB this morning - Fran Godfrey wakes me up
at the same time each day. Time gets to 8 a.m. and the news jingle plays
then an advert then on with the music - no news. Went for wash & shave,
back to bedroom to get dressed and it's traffic news read by somebody
other than Fran Godfrey.

She is now broadcasting again but absolutely no mention of anything not
going to plan, made me wonder if anybody monitors anything?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Greater love hath no man than this, that he lay down his friends for his
Old January 9th 19, 02:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/01/2019 08:54, Jeff Gaines wrote:

I appreciate the days of a DJ siting next to a turntable putting records
on one by one no longer exists.

I know somebody who was a Presenter on a local radio station (He
insisted he was a Presenter, not a DJ). He had a personal collection of
over 10,000 CDs and did a weekly 2-hour show putting CDs into a dual
drive and choosing the track to play. He kept an eye on the time and
faded out his "break" tune (always an instrumental) so that the local
news could be broadcast on the hour. The transmission was recorded as it
went out live, and was passed on in two parts to a number of other
stations in various parts of the world, with a gap available between the
two parts for their adverts/news where the local news went out in the
original transmission.

Then the radio station decided to do an upgrade. He was to put his
tracks onto a pen drive, copy them to the local hard drive and then play
them from the hard drive for his broadcast. He told them that he had
spent a lifetime (he was nearly 80) playing tracks off vinyl and CDs and
he had decided that if his CD player was removed he would go with it.
And he did.

Listening to Mellow Magic on DAB this morning - Fran Godfrey wakes me up
at the same time each day. Time gets to 8 a.m. and the news jingle plays
then an advert then on with the music - no news. Went for wash& shave,
back to bedroom to get dressed and it's traffic news read by somebody
other than Fran Godfrey.

She is now broadcasting again but absolutely no mention of anything not
going to plan, made me wonder if anybody monitors anything?

From my tale of the Presenter above, it is clear that Fran Godfrey
could monitor what is going on. But with the current trend for
automated play lists, she probably doesn't. And from your description
of what actually happened, nobody else does either.

Jim

Old January 9th 19, 03:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Play station studio. Its all done in about an hour for overnights and stuff
with timed opt outs and secondary streams to cut in if something does not
function. The whole thing is on a server somewhere I expect.

I notice it on TV as well when they get confused and put the wrong
continuity bit out as if its just going to come on when its just been on.
In answer to your question, I imagine nobody listens very much all the
time, they just keep an eye on the logs.

Old January 9th 19, 03:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Are you talking about Keith Skews?

I know that most stuff on mellow is voice tracked as they say, as one
presenter can then do hours of programming in a morning.

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
[...]

From my tale of the Presenter above, it is clear that Fran Godfrey could

Old January 9th 19, 05:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Are you talking about Keith Skews?

I know that most stuff on mellow is voice tracked as they say, as one
presenter can then do hours of programming in a morning.

Keith Skues is still on, just Sun late nights now.

I have a feeling he might do it from home?

The story might fit with Paul Barnes who did a jazz show to the east, and
left apparently rather unhappy last year.

James

Old January 9th 19, 05:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/01/2019 14:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
Are you talking about Keith Skews?

No. His name is Bryan Chalker, a performer as well as a presenter.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bryan_chalker

Jim
Old January 9th 19, 05:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 09/01/2019 16:38, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 09/01/2019 14:36, Brian Gaff wrote:
Are you talking about Keith Skews?

No. His name is Bryan Chalker, a performer as well as a presenter.

https://rateyourmusic.com/artist/bryan_chalker

Jim

I have just found an on-line write-up (now a bit out of date because he
isn't broadcasting any more).
quote
Veteran broadcaster Bryan Chalker has been behind a radio microphone for
more than 40 years and worked for many high-profile stations during his
distinguished career, including Capitol Radio, BBC Radio-2, Radio West,
the FM Service of the Sultanate of Oman, Country 1035, CMR (Country
Music Radio for Europe) and Radio Caroline. He has worked as a Bath
City councillor since 2003, served as Chairman of Bath & North East
Somerset Council and Mayor of Bath and is the City’s Heritage Champion.
Bryan retired from professional broadcasting in 2002 but returned to
the airwaves in September 2012, when Midsomer Norton’s community
station, Somer Valley 97.5FM, offered him a Monday evening slot
(7pm-9pm) for his ground-breaking ‘Same Roots, Different Fruits’ show.
Whilst Bryan favours all forms of country music, his tastes in general
are extremely catholic and his programme successfully blends everything
from Cajun, western-swing, bluegrass and the Nashville Sound, through to
reggae, rockabilly, folk, blues, Hawaiian, jazz and mariachi – with a
little Beethoven and Bach thrown in for good measure!
Bryan’s record collection is awesome and he can call upon more than
500,000 titles to sate his audience’s appetite for good music. Thanks
to the wonders of the internet, ‘Same Roots, Different Fruits’ is now
listened to around the world. His motto is simple: ‘If you’ve got
nothing to say, don’t say it and simply let the music speak for itself’.
end quote

Jim

Old January 12th 19, 11:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 09/01/2019 in message Indy Jess John
wrote:

I know somebody who was a Presenter on a local radio station (He insisted
he was a Presenter, not a DJ). He had a personal collection of over
10,000 CDs and did a weekly 2-hour show putting CDs into a dual drive and
choosing the track to play. He kept an eye on the time and faded out his
"break" tune (always an instrumental) so that the local news could be
broadcast on the hour. The transmission was recorded as it went out live,
and was passed on in two parts to a number of other stations in various
parts of the world, with a gap available between the two parts for their
adverts/news where the local news went out in the original transmission.

Good to know that's how it was done once upon a time :-)

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
Old January 12th 19, 11:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

Thanks Brian :-)

On 09/01/2019 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

Play station studio. Its all done in about an hour for overnights and
stuff with timed opt outs and secondary streams to cut in if something
does not function. The whole thing is on a server somewhere I expect.

I notice it on TV as well when they get confused and put the wrong
continuity bit out as if its just going to come on when its just been on.
In answer to your question, I imagine nobody listens very much all the
time, they just keep an eye on the logs.

Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
This is as bad as it can get, but don't bet on it