local TV and the EPG

Old January 8th 19, 11:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default local TV and the EPG

On 08/01/2019 20:52, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/01/2019 12:41, Indy Jess John wrote:

Because WhatsApp is better than the Microsoft crippled Skype. Have
you tried it?

What on?

A reasonably modern computer.

Bill

Are you seriously suggesting I change a computer that works OK, just to
run an App that I don't actually need?

Jim

Old January 9th 19, 04:43 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 08/01/2019 22:04, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 08/01/2019 20:52, Bill Wright wrote:
On 08/01/2019 12:41, Indy Jess John wrote:

Because WhatsApp is better than the Microsoft crippled Skype.* Have
you tried it?

What on?

A reasonably modern computer.

Bill

Are you seriously suggesting I change a computer that works OK, just to
run an App that I don't actually need?

Jim

Well you said 'What on?' That suggests a deficiency to me.

Old January 9th 19, 12:56 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 12:41:35 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 08/01/2019 12:18, AnthonyL wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jan 2019 18:44:33 +0000, Indy Jess John
wrote:

On 07/01/2019 12:37, AnthonyL wrote:

An annoyance are those who say they won't use any Social media such as
Twitter, WhatsApp, Facebook (ok they may have a point there) and
others and when I ask have they ever tried they say "no".

I will turn this argument around.
I can work collaboratively using Box and Dropbox; I can chat to the
people who share my interests using Newsgroups; all the people I want to
speak to socially are in my Skype address book and my e-mail address book.
So why should I register with the fashionable social media platforms
when they leak personal data like a sieve and are not the only options
available?

Because WhatsApp is better than the Microsoft crippled Skype. Have
you tried it?

What on? I haven't got (or want) a smartphone, and the PC version
requires Windows 8 or above and even then doesn't allow voice or video
calls. The best I can offer is Win7, which will run Skype.

Also, WhatsApp is owned by faecesbook :-(

I grant you that last point. But I get none of the annoyances that
Farcebook gives.

Skype won't run on my XP, WhatsApp web does when linked to my phone.

--
AnthonyL
Old January 10th 19, 08:52 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 09 Jan 2019 11:56:20 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

[...]

Still using XP? Skype is available for Linux Mint if you felt like
giving it a try. And Linux on an old computer (or any computer in
fact) would be more responsive than Windows. And of course Whatsapp
Web will run on any web browser, so you'd still have that.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old January 10th 19, 01:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
AnthonyL

wrote:

[...]

I am running Linux (Mint/KDE). But I have superb integration between
my Microsoft Outlook (2002) and an ailing Windows CE phone which has
years of contacts, tasks and calendar items (don't use for email). If
only Linux would stop inventing new versions and focus on such
"killer" apps integrating with Android I would just about be sorted.*

Note I'm looking at non-cloud solutions.

* The one other application I would miss is my Canon DPP photography
software but at least there are Linux options for RAW conversion and
editing.

--
AnthonyL
Old January 11th 19, 07:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Thu, 10 Jan 2019 12:24:36 GMT, lid (AnthonyL)
wrote:

[...]
I am running Linux (Mint/KDE). But I have superb integration between
my Microsoft Outlook (2002) and an ailing Windows CE phone which has
years of contacts, tasks and calendar items (don't use for email). If
only Linux would stop inventing new versions and focus on such
"killer" apps integrating with Android I would just about be sorted.*

Note I'm looking at non-cloud solutions.

Some cloud solutions are just so darn convenient though. The calendar
app that comes installed by default on an Android phone can easily be
made to synchronise automatically with Google Calendar on any web
browser on any operating system. I can add an item using a computer,
and without doing anything else I have it on my phone as well. I also
have my entire collection of Firefox bookmarks available on desktop
and laptop, Windows and Linux, with any additions and alterations done
on one installation being copied automatically to all the others.

Other solutions may be possible, but so far it's just been a matter of
configuring what's already there, which amounts to maximum convenience
for minimum effort, which has a certain appeal.

Rod.
Old January 14th 19, 05:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 11/01/2019 06:59, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Some cloud solutions are just so darn convenient though.

If you are willing to trust all your personal data to a third party.
Most of these "clouds" are not covered by any UK data protection
legislation and are the target for many hackers.

Old January 15th 19, 09:49 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2019 16:30:41 +0000, alan_m
wrote:

On 11/01/2019 06:59, Roderick Stewart wrote:

Some cloud solutions are just so darn convenient though.

If you are willing to trust all your personal data to a third party.
Most of these "clouds" are not covered by any UK data protection
legislation and are the target for many hackers.

I'm acutely aware of this, which is why I've only entrusted my Google
calendar and my Firefox bookmarks to the cloud, not my photographs,
documents or any backup files, and certainly not a password manager.

Thus Google and Mozilla together have the means to know some of my
interests, or the interests of various family members because I
sometimes look things up or order things for them, my grandchildren's
birthdays, and which colour of wheelie bin I'm putting out this week.
I hope it thrills them to know these things.

Rod.