local TV and the EPG

Old January 6th 19, 03:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default local TV and the EPG

On 05/01/2019 22:17, Apd wrote:
wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

I'm 69 and I think my contemporaries do very well with technology.

Old January 6th 19, 11:33 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

wrote in message

I get BBC Stoke, Wiltshire, London, cov and warks, gloucs, Hereford
and Worcester, Lincoln, three counties, London, Norfolk, Cambridge
plus others that escape my memory.

And of course they're all full of fascinating programmes.

Bill

Well both the mother and mother in law like listening to "their local"
BBC radio station when looking after their granddaughter......

So getting the out of area BBC local radio stations was worth it for
the free babysitting services!

Neither of them know how to use a computer for internet radio so
easiest solution was to get them on the TV sets.

How cunning. Tech used for a good purpose.

Bill

The M.I.L was born in Worcestershire, the F.I.L was born in the Black
country and mother was born in Gloucester.

The mother comes down on the bus for a few days at a time. She really
loves her radio and she does not have a TV licence at home. She gave up TV
when her B&W set developed a fault and no one knew how to repair it and of
course she could not go out an buy a new B&W TV set.

Couldn't EBay come up with a replacement (obviously you helping out given
the lack of techno enthusiasm you mention)

James

Old January 6th 19, 11:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 03:53:53 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

I'm 69 and I think my contemporaries do very well with technology.

I'm nearly 71 and I've never bought a desktop computer, but have built
lots of them for myself and family and friends. I never had any formal
teaching about them because during the years when I was being formally
taught about anything, they didn't exist, yet somehow I've managed to
find out what I need. Age alone need not be an impediment to learning.
Youl never know till you have a go.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old January 6th 19, 09:38 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 06/01/2019 11:33, James Heaton wrote:

wrote in message

[...]

If you put "black and white television" in the ebay search box, there
are a few available.

I leave you to research whether any of them would be suitable.

Jim

Old January 6th 19, 09:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Saturday, 5 January 2019 22:17:44 UTC, Apd wrote:
wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest.... I do apologise... There was some lack of detail in my post.

Mother has old valve radios (largely heaters now as there is very little left on MW, LW and SW) and likes collecting old things such as antiques. Not only that she has a wind up gramophone with that "horn" that plays 78 rpm records.

Before her current B&W TV set died, I got her a freeview box with a UHF modulator when analogue TV was switched off.

She refused to use it as she was petrified TV licensing would prosecute her for not having a colour licence as technically speaking, despite the TV being B&W, the freeview box is technically capable of receiving in colour.

Not long after I gave her the freeview box, the B&W set died. She then basically cancelled her B&W TV licence and now makes do with Radio.

Her only concession to modern technology is a DAB radio as that is the only way she can get radio now along with FM.

As for F.I.L, believe it or not, he was using a Windows 3.11 computer running on MS DOS 6.22 till until 2010. It died and we got him a Windows 7 PC. he cannot cope at all with Win 7 and wants his Windows 3.11 PC back and repaired!

He did not even know that a modern PC could play CDs. He asks why He can't play his VHS tapes on the PC! Only recently a electric gramophone was thrown out and he moans about that gramophone going. He has a wardrobe full of records! Remember those gramophones that looked like a sideboard table?

The M.I.L is a bit better. She has got the hang of an Android Smart Phone and does reasonably well on a Windows 7 box but she would not have the first clue on how to get internet radio.

Furthermore, the in-laws live in a rural part of the countryside where all they get is a basic 512 KB/sec ADSL service. I've tried setting them up with a 4g router/modem which will get 40 MB/sec at their house with an external 4g aerial but they find the idea of mobile internet being faster than wired internet hard to get their head round.....

Old January 6th 19, 10:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
johnt

"Apd" wrote in message ...
wrote:
All of them being in their 60's and 70's. the internet and
computers are a challenge....

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

Me too. Long before the Internet. Started in 1964. Am now 81 years old and
am losing brain cells at an alarmingly fast rate.
--
JohnT

Old January 7th 19, 12:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Apd

wrote:
On Saturday, 5 January 2019 22:17:44 UTC, Apd wrote:
Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest.... I do apologise... There
was some lack of detail in my post.

Well, It appears that most here have (had) technical careers so are
probably not a fair representation of joe public, many of whom will
not be computer literate (as opposed to knowing how to use computer
appliances like smart phones). Thanks for the further info.

[...]
As for F.I.L, believe it or not, he was using a Windows 3.11 computer
running on MS DOS 6.22 till until 2010. It died and we got him a
Windows 7 PC. he cannot cope at all with Win 7 and wants his Windows
3.11 PC back and repaired!

I don't blame him! I still boot DOS sometimes for certain stuff. The
thing about older tech is that it was simpler and you had control over
it. I think loss of control, as far as Microsoft is concerned, started
to ramp up with their NTFS file system. You now have a complex set of
access permissions to deal with and all manner of other weirdness like
junction points that can make file management tricky.

I recently applied a load of updates to an XP box (yes, I still get
them by setting a flag that tells MS it's a "POS ready" system).
One of the updates changed permissions on the registry hives for the
local system and network service accounts making them unloadable by
those users. The system still booted but had to create temporary
directories and files for those accounts with a bunch of error
messages in the event log. Of course, being originally an XP Home
edition, I didn't have access to a file permissions dialog in
explorer to correct things. I had to spend time researching and
experimenting with arcane Powershell commands from a cmd prompt to
sort it out.

I tolerate Win 7 when I have to use it and won't go near 10. The
trend with Windows seems to be to take away control from the user,
provide fewer customization options and generally dumb down.

Old January 7th 19, 08:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Mon, 7 Jan 2019 00:14:48 -0000, "Apd" wrote:

Are you kidding? People of that age (like me) grew up with developing
technology. I was writing software before the Internet came to be.

I seem to have stirred up a hornets nest.... I do apologise... There
was some lack of detail in my post.

Well, It appears that most here have (had) technical careers so are
probably not a fair representation of joe public, many of whom will
not be computer literate (as opposed to knowing how to use computer
appliances like smart phones). Thanks for the further info.

I wasn't "computer literate" until I sat down in front of a computer
and played around with it to find out what it could do. This was in my
thirties, and nobody had ever taught me anything about them. My
technical career up to then had been all about the analogue
electronics on which television was based, and nothing about what you
might type on a keyboard and what to expect as a response.

A great many people who are far more conversant with the workings of
computers than I am seem to know next to nothing about electronics, or
even anything scientific, so it's difficult to see how previous
experience in anything unrelated to computing itself could confer any
advantage. My impression is that the ones who get ahead in computing,
as in anything else that is new to them, are the ones who are willing
to have a go. The ones who don't know anything about computers are the
ones who say (almost proudly it seems) "I don't know anything about
this" and never make any effort to find out. Almost invariably, anyone
who actually has a computer and has asked me to sort out some problem
realting to it will just walk away and leave me to get on with it,
taking no interest themselves, and consequently learning nothing at
all for the next time they have a problem. If you convince yourself
that you can't do something before you even try, then you definitely
never will, but if you are willing to give it a go, then even if you
never become an expert you might still learn enough to be useful. It's
got nothing to do with age.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old January 7th 19, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 07/01/2019 08:38, Roderick Stewart wrote:

I wasn't "computer literate" until I sat down in front of a computer
and played around with it to find out what it could do. This was in my
thirties, and nobody had ever taught me anything about them. My
technical career up to then had been all about the analogue
electronics on which television was based, and nothing about what you
might type on a keyboard and what to expect as a response.

Similar story here. Went to uni planning to study theoretical &
mathematical physics, but when there decided I wanted to do something
more socially useful, and went to agricultural college instead. Then,
after I began to suffer from Farmer's Lung in my late 20s/early 30s,
went back to uni to finish my degree, this time in Mathematics &
Physics. It was during this period that computers first entered my
life, and eventually my degree became Mathematics & Computing.

My impression is that the ones who get ahead in computing,
as in anything else that is new to them, are the ones who are willing
to have a go. The ones who don't know anything about computers are the
ones who say (almost proudly it seems) "I don't know anything about
this" and never make any effort to find out. Almost invariably, anyone
who actually has a computer and has asked me to sort out some problem
realting to it will just walk away and leave me to get on with it,
taking no interest themselves, and consequently learning nothing at
all for the next time they have a problem.

Exactly.

I recall very well a colleague at my last place of work, who was in
front-line IT support, had relevant qualifications, and therefore, it
might be hoped, would be willing to learn a thing or two about the
subject, but whenever I had to explain anything complicated to him, he
would never take any notes, and, visibly, would glaze over if the
explanation lasted longer than about 15-30 seconds. I could be sure
that a week or a month later whenever that particular problem
resurfaced, he would need it explaining to him all over again.

In contrast, I had another (gorgeously pretty!) female colleague who
came over from the financial staff, because she found finance deadly
boring, and therefore had no relevant IT training whatsoever, but was
suggested to me as a member of the finance staff, in a remote office too
small to have permanent IT support on site, who might be helpful to do
simple SysAdmin jobs like clear and restart print queues and change
overnight backup tapes. She was impressively bright and a fast learner
- I *never* had to explain anything to her, no matter how complicated,
more than once! Eventually, when I was promoted, I suggested her as my
replacement. Initially my ex-boss was sceptical, ostensibly because of
her lack of relevant qualifications but really because I had suggested
her (ex-boss being an utterly incompetent sh*t, we'd never got on), and,
no other more suitable permanent applicant coming forward, a contractor
was employed. He was so disastrous that eventually my ex-boss took my
advice by pretending that she herself had discovered the bright girl,
and gave the latter the job. She never looked back, and by the time I
retired and left the firm, my ex-boss had been fired for incompetence,
and the bright girl had already been promoted to be more senior than
myself, both of which pleased me greatly!

There's nothing special about computers and IT, they're simply one of
the major areas of technological innovation of today, just as steam
power was 150 years ago. To acquire any sort of mental proficiency, all
that is required is a willingness to acquire a habit of sufficiently
good concentration to learn. This is easier to acquire when you're
young, but certainly not impossible to acquire when older, and, once the
habit is acquired, it can last well into old age.

If you convince yourself
that you can't do something before you even try, then you definitely
never will, but if you are willing to give it a go, then even if you
never become an expert you might still learn enough to be useful. It's
got nothing to do with age.

Indeed, and, given that this group is subscribed by a number of older
people, I'm quite surprised, and not a little disgusted, at the latent
ageism that has surfaced in this thread.