BBC iPlayer on more than one tV

Old January 3rd 19, 01:51 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

Default BBC iPlayer on more than one tV

On 02/01/2019 21:49, Chris Green wrote:
Bill Ward wrote:
On 02/01/2019 17:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I got a dollar on my new Iphone as usual, but to make it easier I
bought an el cheapo bluetooth keyboard. Most of the time phones seem to save
your log in so if you are out and about without the keyboard you can still
auto log in.
The issues the guy was on about was full sizesmart tvs with just a remote.
In my case it wood be that the app accesses the web site using its own code,
not the native browser with accessible features that the samsung has
apparently. This means that if you are blind once its in the app. nothing
will speak.
Brian

What I really want to know is if others with two or more TVs have had
this problem. As I said it used to come up with the same user letters on
each TV. A couple of times before it got picky but after logging in on
my PC it worked again. Of course it could be that this time my wife has
done something different on her TV.
The BBC website seems only to have a basic list of FAQ's and no means of
asking a direct question.

I really don't understand how BBC/iPlayer (or anything similar) thinks
it's going to know/remember whether a connection is the 'same' one or
not.

IP address is completely hopeless, even the WAN side of NAT might
change and we had two ADSL connections which we shared for a long
time. With dynamic IP the WAN IP might change anyway.

MAC address *might* be useful but it's tied to one device, change
TV set and it's gone, not to mention that it's fairly easy to
spoof it.

What else is there? Cookies or the equivalent, you must be joking!

Fundamentally, it's a silly idea to try and tie down a user (or
something) to a connection.

At one time she was getting 'do you want to delete cookies ' on her TV
and we always deleted them and from time to time they came back. We each
have different make of TV as we each watch different rubbish and she has
a Humax STB and I have a Youview so we never seem to have the same
problems.
Bill.
Old January 3rd 19, 09:01 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 03/01/2019 00:51, Bill Ward wrote:

At one time she was getting 'do you want to delete cookies ' on her TV
and we always deleted them and from time to time they came back.

One of the cookies was almost certainly a memory of having logged in,
which would explain why the need for a password cropped up if the BBC
has changed their cookie policy to not assume the viewer is authorised.

Jim
Old January 3rd 19, 12:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 20:40:35 +0000, Bill Ward wrote:

When I tried to log in using my phone I could not input my password as
when I set it up on my PC I included a $ sign in my password that my
phone does not have on its key pad.

Doesn't your phone keypad contain a symbols key to switch between ABC
and symbols?* On mine (Samsung android tablet) it's [email protected]# in the bottom
left-hand corner.

It is a Windows phone so it seems not to follow the android path.
Bill.

Unusual for a Micro$oft product not to have a $ key...
Old January 3rd 19, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

On 02/01/2019 20:49, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Ward wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Bill Ward wrote:

I could not input my password as when I set it up on my PC I
included a $ sign in my password that my phone does not have on
its key pad.

Doesn't your phone keypad contain a symbols key
It is a Windows phone

Press &123 to get to the numeric keypad, then press right arrow to get
to the symbols keypad

It does not have a $ on mine.

Old January 3rd 19, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

On 03/01/2019 08:01, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 03/01/2019 00:51, Bill Ward wrote:

At one time she was getting 'do you want to delete cookies ' on her TV
and we always deleted them and from time to time they came back.

One of the cookies was almost certainly a memory of having logged in,
which would explain why the need for a password cropped up if the BBC
has changed their cookie policy to not assume the viewer is authorised.

Jim

Can I get Cookies the back ?
Bill.
Old January 3rd 19, 04:58 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
On Wed, 2 Jan 2019 20:40:35 +0000, Bill Ward wrote:

When I tried to log in using my phone I could not input my password as
when I set it up on my PC I included a $ sign in my password that my
phone does not have on its key pad.

Doesn't your phone keypad contain a symbols key to switch between ABC
and symbols? On mine (Samsung android tablet) it's [email protected]# in the bottom
left-hand corner.

It is a Windows phone so it seems not to follow the android path.
Bill.

Unusual for a Micro$oft product not to have a $ key...

It does have one. I've just turned on my old Nokia which runs on Win10.
The default keyboard is letters; there is a key on the LHS with numbers on
it. Press that to get the first set of numbers and characters. On the LHS
above the key to go back to alphabetic characters is an arrow pointing
sideways - press that and you get a second set of symbols - including Euro,
Dollar and Yen, as well as square brackets.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Old January 3rd 19, 05:20 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 03/01/2019 11:47, Bill Ward wrote:
On 03/01/2019 08:01, Indy Jess John wrote:
On 03/01/2019 00:51, Bill Ward wrote:

At one time she was getting 'do you want to delete cookies ' on her TV
and we always deleted them and from time to time they came back.

One of the cookies was almost certainly a memory of having logged in,
which would explain why the need for a password cropped up if the BBC
has changed their cookie policy to not assume the viewer is authorised.

Jim

Can I get Cookies the back ?
Bill.

Not unless you have a back-up with them in. Once deleted they stay deleted.

Jim

Old January 4th 19, 12:02 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

On 03/01/2019 15:58, charles wrote:
In article ,
Paul Ratcliffe wrote:
[...]

Thank you! It has taken over two years for me to get that screen.
I earlier solved the problem for my wife's TV. To avoid the $ sign I
went to BBC accounts and changed my password. I told the site that we
would accept cookies.
Went back to her TV and hoped that it had reverted but it still asked
for the code on the screen to be input. I was concerned that then it
would accept her TV but not mine but it worked on them all.
Bill.