BBC iPlayer on more than one tV

Old January 1st 19, 11:54 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

Default BBC iPlayer on more than one tV

Had no problem with using iPlayer on two TV's. Both showed the same user
name with just me as the set up user. Now the TV my wife watches is
asking her to log in to bbc accounts and enter a code and we seem to
have have no means of doing that as she does not have a computer at the
moment.
There is on my TV a 'select who's watching' option and Add a user. Is
that the way to get her set up again or would that only let her register
as a user on my TV which seems stupid.
Bill.
Old January 2nd 19, 10:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I really think the BBC has made a complete cock up of all of this. There was
a Samsung guy on a radio station the other day saying that the third party,
as they see it, apps they have to use on the smart tvs are not fit for
purpose. Many do not let you log in without a keyboard and none of the
Iplayers when run on a tv allow audio description to be spoken by their
assistive tech even though the ways to do it have been circulated to the
broadcasters.

Definitely descent in the camp of broadcasters vs set makers going on
Too many people moving the goalposts and too many interpretations of what
standard means. Who is to blame though?

Old January 2nd 19, 01:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

On 02/01/2019 09:47, Brian Gaff wrote:
I really think the BBC has made a complete cock up of all of this. There was
a Samsung guy on a radio station the other day saying that the third party,
as they see it, apps they have to use on the smart tvs are not fit for
purpose. Many do not let you log in without a keyboard and none of the
Iplayers when run on a tv allow audio description to be spoken by their
assistive tech even though the ways to do it have been circulated to the
broadcasters.

Definitely descent in the camp of broadcasters vs set makers going on
Too many people moving the goalposts and too many interpretations of what
standard means. Who is to blame though?
Brian

When I tried to log in using my phone I could not input my password as
when I set it up on my PC I included a $ sign in my password that my
phone does not have on its key pad.
Bill.
Old January 2nd 19, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 02/01/2019 12:29, Bill Ward wrote:
[...]

Can you display this message on your phone. If so, can you copy the $
from the message and paste it into the appropriate place in the password?

(I don't have a smartphone, so I can't test it myself).

Jim

Old January 2nd 19, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 02/01/2019 12:29, Bill Ward wrote:

When I tried to log in using my phone I could not input my password as
when I set it up on my PC I included a $ sign in my password that my
phone does not have on its key pad.

Doesn't your phone keypad contain a symbols key to switch between ABC
and symbols? On mine (Samsung android tablet) it's [email protected]# in the bottom
left-hand corner.

Old January 2nd 19, 06:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Well I got a dollar on my new Iphone as usual, but to make it easier I
bought an el cheapo bluetooth keyboard. Most of the time phones seem to save
your log in so if you are out and about without the keyboard you can still
auto log in.
The issues the guy was on about was full sizesmart tvs with just a remote.
In my case it wood be that the app accesses the web site using its own code,
not the native browser with accessible features that the samsung has
apparently. This means that if you are blind once its in the app. nothing
will speak.

Old January 2nd 19, 09:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

On 02/01/2019 15:16, Java Jive wrote:
On 02/01/2019 12:29, Bill Ward wrote:

When I tried to log in using my phone I could not input my password as
when I set it up on my PC I included a $ sign in my password that my
phone does not have on its key pad.

Doesn't your phone keypad contain a symbols key to switch between ABC
and symbols?* On mine (Samsung android tablet) it's [email protected]# in the bottom
left-hand corner.

It is a Windows phone so it seems not to follow the android path.
Bill.
Old January 2nd 19, 09:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Ward[_2_]

On 02/01/2019 17:24, Brian Gaff wrote:
Well I got a dollar on my new Iphone as usual, but to make it easier I
bought an el cheapo bluetooth keyboard. Most of the time phones seem to save
your log in so if you are out and about without the keyboard you can still
auto log in.
The issues the guy was on about was full sizesmart tvs with just a remote.
In my case it wood be that the app accesses the web site using its own code,
not the native browser with accessible features that the samsung has
apparently. This means that if you are blind once its in the app. nothing
will speak.
Brian

What I really want to know is if others with two or more TVs have had
this problem. As I said it used to come up with the same user letters on
each TV. A couple of times before it got picky but after logging in on
my PC it worked again. Of course it could be that this time my wife has
done something different on her TV.
The BBC website seems only to have a basic list of FAQ's and no means of
asking a direct question.
Bill.
Old January 2nd 19, 09:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bill Ward wrote:

Java Jive wrote:

Bill Ward wrote:

I could not input my password as when I set it up on my PC I
included a $ sign in my password that my phone does not have on
its key pad.

Doesn't your phone keypad contain a symbols key
It is a Windows phone

Press &123 to get to the numeric keypad, then press right arrow to get
to the symbols keypad

Old January 2nd 19, 10:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris Green

Bill Ward wrote:
[...]

I really don't understand how BBC/iPlayer (or anything similar) thinks
it's going to know/remember whether a connection is the 'same' one or
not.

IP address is completely hopeless, even the WAN side of NAT might
change and we had two ADSL connections which we shared for a long
time. With dynamic IP the WAN IP might change anyway.

MAC address *might* be useful but it's tied to one device, change
TV set and it's gone, not to mention that it's fairly easy to
spoof it.

What else is there? Cookies or the equivalent, you must be joking!

Fundamentally, it's a silly idea to try and tie down a user (or
something) to a connection.

--
Chris Green
·