Rii mini keyboard

Old December 26th 18, 07:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Rii mini keyboard

My second Rii mini keyboard has sprung a fault. The letters L & O are
dead. They keyboard three years old.

The first one's on-off switch will not switch off.

I paid over £25 for the first one and over £12 for the second.

Ritek reckon that 3 years is the working life. I think that is too short.

Can anyone recommend a more endurable alternative?

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
Old December 27th 18, 09:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Mini keyboards are a bit strange. Many I suspect use remote control type
contactors, ie conductive gunge.
Without taking things apart and looking at how they are made its hard to
know.
Does it have to be a mini keyboard?

Old December 27th 18, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Wednesday, 26 December 2018 19:50:12 UTC, pinnerite wrote:
My second Rii mini keyboard has sprung a fault. The letters L & O are
dead. They keyboard three years old.

The first one's on-off switch will not switch off.

I paid over £25 for the first one and over £12 for the second.

Ritek reckon that 3 years is the working life. I think that is too short.

Can anyone recommend a more endurable alternative?

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-42-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.

Rikomagic, although without seeing them they may just be badge engineered.

The on / off switch failure is probably terminal (but does it go into deep standby if left on?), however as with TV remotes, the keyboard probably just needs dismantling and a thorough clean carried out. I did this Xmas day on one, which whilst still partially working had had one battery expel gunge all over the inside.
Old December 28th 18, 09:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

The issue seems to be on the robber button ones that there is a conductive
'stuff' on the bottom of the keys which connects the tracks on the pcb.
However with age this either unglues or goes dry and falls off. This can
then stop the connection or make it permanently on. Goodmans Smart talk box
remotes were notorious for it. I want to keep a few running till somebody
else makes an affordable talking box, but I'm beginning to lose faith that
the industry will provide one.