Shows to bring back

Old December 23rd 18, 05:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

Default Shows to bring back

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 17:05:42 +0000, the dog from that film you saw
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 12:45, Scott wrote:
On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:43:18 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 11:47, Scott wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 11:44:58 +0000, the dog from that film you saw
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Black and White Minstrel show in colour.

i bet if they brought such a show back, but with just singers and no
hint of race that might be popular among the older viewer.

Well, not this one at any rate.

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Ditto.

My father liked it. Made it a condition of us listening to Pick of
the Pops that he got to listen to Sing Something Simple next.

back when radio 1 was medium wave only, radio 1 got to take over the
radio 2 fm frequency for the top 40 rundown. as i eagerly tuned in each
sunday i often got a few minutes of sing something simple. i couldn't
fathom who would like it such was my 10 year old's mind.

I thought Sing Something Simple was after, at 7pm?
Old December 23rd 18, 05:50 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

On 23/12/2018 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Black and White Minstrel show in colour.

i bet if they brought such a show back, but with just singers and no
hint of race that might be popular among the older viewer.

Well, not this one at any rate.

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Ditto.

My father liked it.* Made it a condition of us listening to Pick of
the Pops that he got to listen to Sing Something Simple next.

back when radio 1 was medium wave only, radio 1 got to take over the
radio 2 fm frequency for the top 40 rundown. as i eagerly tuned in each
sunday i often got a few minutes of sing something simple. i couldn't
fathom who would like it such was my 10 year old's mind.

Actually Pick of the Pops was on the Light Programme (LW and FM) before
there was any Radio 1. Then when the numbered radio programmes came in,
Radio 1 and 2 carried the same programmes for part of the time.

--
Max Demian
Old December 23rd 18, 06:08 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

I think that's right. Pick of the Pops continued after Radio 1
started in 1967 as one of the programmes that went out on R1 and R2.
Later they moved to a system that R1 and R2 were separate but some of
the time R1 used the R2 FM band - notably during R2's Sport on
Saturday afternoons and late in the evening (Sounds of the 70s) when
R2 was available on local radio (England). I think Pick of the Pops
remained as a simulcast for a bit longer then became R1 plus 'VHF' as
it was called then.
Old December 23rd 18, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
alan_m

On 23/12/2018 11:44, the dog from that film you saw wrote:

i bet if they brought such a show back, but with just singers and no
hint of race that might be popular among the older viewer.

In much the same way that 1st world war songs and roll out the barrel
etc. are popular with the older generation!

The BBC already cater for people reaching, or in, retirement with their
repeats of 50 year old episodes of top of the pops.

Old December 23rd 18, 07:33 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

wrote:

On 23/12/2018 11:47, Scott wrote:

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Ditto.

My father liked it. Made it a condition of us listening to Pick of
the Pops that he got to listen to Sing Something Simple next.

Different generation now though.

This is true. Now it's me who would want to avoid the Top 40 :-)

Sing Something Simple was a depressing programme and always seemed to
be on the car radio as we compleated the long Edinburgh to Manchester
run, pre M6, after visiting my dads family.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 23rd 18, 07:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On 23/12/2018 11:47, Scott wrote:

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Oh bloody ell that programme used to put t'cobs on me. So dreary and
depressing. Raining outside and school tomorrow...

Bill

Not just me then, that's exactly the feeling.

The TV equivalent for me was Frank Ifield singing "Lovesick Blues" on
Spank Your Lucky Arse or Jukebox Durex, which ever one was on Sunday
evening.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old December 23rd 18, 08:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
James Heaton

wrote:

[...]

R2 FM carried the chart rundown until - I think - the shift round in 1990,
it was the last R1 programme on 2.

I think Sing Something Simple lasted until the main singer died. Think it
was 7pm I always associate it with summer evenings on the way back from
cricket.

James

Old December 23rd 18, 08:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 20:06:10 -0000, "James Heaton"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

I assume this was when the full R1 FM network was completed.
Old December 24th 18, 08:47 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Scott" wrote in message
On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:57:51 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 12:43, Scott wrote:

I remember some members of our school choir changing the words of the
Halleluyah Chorus from 'Halleluyah' to 'Get it up you' x3 then 'While
you are young'.

There are a number of those in the folk scene, though I'd struggle to
remember them all now ...

One I can remember is that a well-known shanty contains a verse
lamenting leaving the comforts of port, and includes a line something
like ...
"And leave Miss Nancy Blair behind"
... which is commonly changed to ...
"And leave Miss Nancy Blair's behind"

They also changed Carmina Burana from 'Oh, oh, oh, totus floreo' to
'Oh, oh , oh, get it up your hole.'

I must say that I have never heard of Carmina Burana

tim

Old December 24th 18, 09:15 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ashley Booth[_3_]

Brian Gaff wrote:

Black and White Minstrel show in colour.

grin.
Brian

2 way family favourites. Always had it on during Sunday lunch.

--

---