Shows to bring back

Old December 23rd 18, 02:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

Default Shows to bring back

On 23/12/2018 12:45, Scott wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:43:18 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 11:47, Scott wrote:

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Ditto.

My father liked it. Made it a condition of us listening to Pick of
the Pops that he got to listen to Sing Something Simple next.

Different generation now though.

Old December 23rd 18, 02:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:57:51 +0000, Java Jive
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 12:43, Scott wrote:

I remember some members of our school choir changing the words of the
Halleluyah Chorus from 'Halleluyah' to 'Get it up you' x3 then 'While
you are young'.

There are a number of those in the folk scene, though I'd struggle to
remember them all now ...

One I can remember is that a well-known shanty contains a verse
lamenting leaving the comforts of port, and includes a line something
like ...
"And leave Miss Nancy Blair behind"
... which is commonly changed to ...
"And leave Miss Nancy Blair's behind"

They also changed Carmina Burana from 'Oh, oh, oh, totus floreo' to
'Oh, oh , oh, get it up your hole.'
Old December 23rd 18, 02:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

wrote:

On 23/12/2018 11:47, Scott wrote:

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Ditto.

My father liked it. Made it a condition of us listening to Pick of
the Pops that he got to listen to Sing Something Simple next.

Different generation now though.

This is true. Now it's me who would want to avoid the Top 40 :-)
Old December 23rd 18, 02:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 12:33:47 +0000, Dave W wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 10:26:49 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Black and White Minstrel show in colour.

grin.
Brian

I'd like that, but they might rename it 'Mistrels of Colour'.
I don't understand why some people are happy being described as
'persons of colour' but not 'coloured people'. Everybody has some sort
of colour.

an albino person is the most coloured, being the nearest to white. A black
person (no such thing unless 'necklaced') would have no colour.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 23rd 18, 04:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Norman Wells[_7_]

wrote:

Black and White Minstrel show in colour.

grin.
Brian

I'd like that, but they might rename it 'Mistrels of Colour'.
I don't understand why some people are happy being described as
'persons of colour' but not 'coloured people'. Everybody has some sort
of colour.

You're not supposed to understand. That's the whole point. They make
the rules, then change them randomly, so you're always in the wrong and
on the back foot. It's an instrument of control, like the words
'inappropriate' and 'unacceptable'.
Old December 23rd 18, 04:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Scott
writes
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 11:47, Scott wrote:

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 11:44:58 +0000, the dog from that film you saw
wrote:

On 23/12/2018 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Black and White Minstrel show in colour.

i bet if they brought such a show back, but with just singers and no
hint of race that might be popular among the older viewer.

Well, not this one at any rate.

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Ditto.

My father liked it. Made it a condition of us listening to Pick of
the Pops that he got to listen to Sing Something Simple next.

I have love-hate memories of 'Sing something simple'. I usually heard it
at 7pm on Sundays, when I was often lying having a soak in the bath,
ready for another week's work ahead. I remember looking forward to being
able to enjoy it better after I had retired, but by then I think it had
finished.
--
Ian
Old December 23rd 18, 05:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

On Sun, 23 Dec 2018 16:03:49 -0000, Terry Casey

says...

I remember some members of our school choir changing the words of the
Halleluyah Chorus from 'Halleluyah' to 'Get it up you' x3 then 'While
you are young'.

The singer in a local pop group used to change the line "I
wish I was sleeping like a dog (A Hard Day's Night) to "I wish
I was sleeping with a wog".

All of my life I've been kissing
Your left tit cos your right one's missing
Oh boy ...
Old December 23rd 18, 05:15 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 23/12/2018 11:47, Scott wrote:

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Oh bloody ell that programme used to put t'cobs on me. So dreary and
depressing. Raining outside and school tomorrow...

Old December 23rd 18, 06:05 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

On 23/12/2018 10:26, Brian Gaff wrote:
Black and White Minstrel show in colour.

i bet if they brought such a show back, but with just singers and no
hint of race that might be popular among the older viewer.

Well, not this one at any rate.

Radio 2 - 'Sing something simple'?

Ditto.

My father liked it. Made it a condition of us listening to Pick of
the Pops that he got to listen to Sing Something Simple next.

back when radio 1 was medium wave only, radio 1 got to take over the
radio 2 fm frequency for the top 40 rundown. as i eagerly tuned in each
sunday i often got a few minutes of sing something simple. i couldn't
fathom who would like it such was my 10 year old's mind.