So what great gems will we have on tv this Christmas?

Old December 21st 18, 12:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_3_]

Default So what great gems will we have on tv this Christmas?

On 20/12/2018 18:22, Andy Burns wrote:
Indy Jess John wrote:

I notice that the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are starting on Boxing day on BBC4.

Last year's was a bit crap, but the previous years were interesting so I am hoping that this year they will be be worth watching.

Here's a non-christmas lecture from a few weeks ago that feels more in the spirit of RI lectures from several years ago ...

https://youtu.be/1Qi4rrQoruQ

That is a good one, and so are quite a few others on YouTube. But the RI's Christmas Lectures are explicitly aimed at a juvenile audience, and often they tell you things that you already know rather well.

The trouble is that just about all science documentaries on mainstream TV channels are just the same, if they are aimed at adults they are for those who failed all their exams. Especially the BBC's Horizon, which once was good. I think the explanation is that they are all made by arts graduates, who know no science and assume that the audience is in the same position. But the fact that there are so many quite good educational videos on YouTube and TED talks, Greshams College lectures, and the like, shows that there must be a substantial potential audience that the BBC and its rivals almost entirely ignore.

I also find it especially annoying that on commercial channels every time there is a commercial break the presenter spends the next few minutes reminding us what the program showed just before. It's as if we all had no working memory at all. Why on earth do they do that? It means an hour-long programme on say ITV or Channel 4 actually has only about 30 minutes of useful content.

--
Clive Page
Old December 21st 18, 04:06 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/2018 21:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/12/2018 in message Java Jive wrote:

I prefer my women to look more as Nature intended them, no make-up, no
dyed or bleached hair.

Like Theresa May?

Hasn't she got long legs? Very long they are.

Old December 21st 18, 04:09 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/2018 23:38, Clive Page wrote:

I also find it especially annoying that on commercial channels every
time there is a commercial break the presenter spends the next few
minutes reminding us what the program showed just before.* It's as if we
all had no working memory at all.* Why on earth do they do that?* It
means an hour-long programme on say ITV or Channel 4 actually has only
about 30 minutes of useful content.

I only watch recorded programmes. I whizz the first two minutes of
******** until I get to the title page, which is the real start of the
programme. Then I whizz the adverts and the recap phase. It takes us 40
to 45 minutes to watch a one hour programme.

Old December 21st 18, 08:59 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 21/12/18 03:06, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2018 21:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/12/2018 in message Java Jive wrote:

I prefer my women to look more as Nature intended them, no make-up, no
dyed or bleached hair.

Like Theresa May?

Hasn't she got long legs? Very long they are.

And I always thought it was Frank Oz who did the voice of Yoda...

--

Jeff
Old December 21st 18, 09:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ian Jackson[_7_]

In message , Bill Wright
writes
On 20/12/2018 21:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/12/2018 in message Java Jive wrote:

I prefer my women to look more as Nature intended them, no make-up,
no dyed or bleached hair.

Like Theresa May?

Hasn't she got long legs? Very long they are.

If Barbi ever gets old, I expect she will look a bit like TM.
--
Ian
Old December 21st 18, 10:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I was thinking naked by that comment actually.

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 20/12/2018 in message Java Jive wrote:

I prefer my women to look more as Nature intended them, no make-up, no
dyed or bleached hair.

Like Theresa May?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility

Old December 21st 18, 10:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thursday, 20 December 2018 23:38:43 UTC, Clive Page wrote:
I also find it especially annoying that on commercial channels
every time there is a commercial break the presenter spends
the next few minutes reminding us what the program showed
just before. It's as if we all had no working memory at all.

Some people don't, and it's a cheap way of filling time. People are now conditioned to soundbite television, but broadcasters and advertisers want hour-long 'quality' programmes, so soundbites are stretched to fill hours.

If some enterprising soul would write a video filter that automatically skipped all repeated content including adverts, trailers, fillers, recaps, flashbacks, etc, I think we'd be down to about 20 minutes useful content per hour.

Oh for Sunday mornings Open University television when men with rather strange beards and jumpers would explain sine waves with a blackboard or (for the advanced stuff) magnetic sticky-on things. Some of the OU stuff was still in B&W when I were a lad.

Owain
Old December 21st 18, 11:00 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 03:09:05 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

I also find it especially annoying that on commercial channels every
time there is a commercial break the presenter spends the next few
minutes reminding us what the program showed just before.* It's as if we
all had no working memory at all.* Why on earth do they do that?* It
means an hour-long programme on say ITV or Channel 4 actually has only
about 30 minutes of useful content.

I only watch recorded programmes. I whizz the first two minutes of
******** until I get to the title page, which is the real start of the
programme. Then I whizz the adverts and the recap phase. It takes us 40
to 45 minutes to watch a one hour programme.

That seems about right. I take great pleasure in using the editing
facility on my recorder to whittle out the adverts so that when I get
round to watching a programme I can do so uninterrupted. It typically
takes about 5 minutes to do this, but a programme transmitted in a 1
hour timeslot will typically run for 40 or 45 minutes, so that's a net
gain in terms of my time.

If there are lots of episodes I usually collect them all before
starting to watch them. For something with, say, 8 episodes, I'll have
saved about 2 - 3 hours of my life.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com