So what great gems will we have on tv this Christmas?

Old December 20th 18, 05:41 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default So what great gems will we have on tv this Christmas?

I take it that this lady is known on tv already then?

My Doctors first name is ZoŽ.

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 20/12/2018 14:13, Java Jive wrote:
On 20/12/2018 14:09, tim... wrote:

Dr Alice is presenting it

Professor Roberts, to you and me.

Highly shaggable to me.

Old December 20th 18, 06:37 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

They won't know the answer to those questions until there is a unified
theory. With all the discussions over the years on science programmes about
gravity, nobody is any further forward than when I was at school. Unless
curved space really exists.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Yes but I fell asleep last year.
The problem is its not really challenging stuff. The fact that its aimed
at youngsters is also a bit of an issue for me.
I really would like a more in depth discussion of how radiation damages
dna or why the speed of light is finite and absolute zero is the
temperature it is and stuff like that.

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 20/12/2018 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm probably not going to be impressed, so i was just wondering if, for
once
we might get a documentary that did more than dumb down an interesting
subject of science

I notice that the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are starting on
Boxing day on BBC4.

Last year's was a bit crap, but the previous years were interesting so I
am hoping that this year they will be be worth watching.

Jim

Old December 20th 18, 07:22 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Indy Jess John wrote:

I notice that the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are starting on
Boxing day on BBC4.

Last year's was a bit crap, but the previous years were interesting so I
am hoping that this year they will be be worth watching.

Here's a non-christmas lecture from a few weeks ago that feels more in
the spirit of RI lectures from several years ago ...

https://youtu.be/1Qi4rrQoruQ
Old December 20th 18, 08:18 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

I'm not so keen on Alice, I think young Worsley might be more interesting.

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Have you been reading this thread before posting that? It appears that
certain people here think the presenter this year is fanciable, but I
cannot comment.

"R. Mark Clayton" wrote in message
On Thursday, 20 December 2018 10:08:53 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm probably not going to be impressed, so i was just wondering if, for
once
we might get a documentary that did more than dumb down an interesting
subject of science, for example, but from recent experience it is
looking
like that will never happen.
Brian

We seem to get groundhog decade with Top of the Pops and the Morecombe
and Wise Xmas shows from the seventies.

OTOH didn't they used to have Royal Society Xmas lectures?

Old December 20th 18, 08:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 20/12/2018 16:39, Brian Gaff wrote:
Yes but I fell asleep last year.
The problem is its not really challenging stuff. The fact that its aimed
at youngsters is also a bit of an issue for me.

I actually attended a couple of these lectures when I was at school. My
school could nominate two to attend, and I volunteered three times and
got chosen twice. I saw one episode on cryogenics, and one on
radioactivity in each of two years.

In those days, there wasn't the emphasis on elf and safety and the
volunteers to take part in the lecture demonstrations did some
relatively dangerous (aka exciting) things.

Jim
Old December 20th 18, 09:06 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 20/12/2018 19:18, Phi wrote:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
It appears that

certain people here think the presenter this year is fanciable, but I
cannot comment.

I'm not so keen on Alice, I think young Worsley might be more interesting.

AIUI, Brian had the misfortune to lose his sight comparatively recently,
so he's probably seen her in her youth. If he remembers Time Team in
its later years having an anatomist and bone expert who was a slip of a
girl, quite good looking except that her hair was dyed an unforgettably
horrible dayglo red, then that was then Dr, now Professor, Alice Roberts.

She's alright looking, but with both her and Lucy Worsley - who BTW is
a historian not a scientist and thus not really relevant to the
Christmas Lectures - I prefer my women to look more as Nature intended
them, no make-up, no dyed or bleached hair.
Old December 20th 18, 10:32 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Phi" wrote in message
news
I'm not so keen on Alice, I think young Worsley might be more interesting.

she wont get to dress up though

tim

Old December 20th 18, 10:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

On 20/12/2018 in message Java Jive wrote:

I prefer my women to look more as Nature intended them, no make-up, no
dyed or bleached hair.

Like Theresa May?

--
Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
Indecision is the key to flexibility
Old December 20th 18, 11:03 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 20/12/2018 21:34, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 20/12/2018 in message Java Jive wrote:

I prefer my women to look more as Nature intended them, no make-up, no
dyed or bleached hair.

Like Theresa May?

Like me, she is too old to be interesting in that respect, ISTR that in
her younger days she was quite looking tho'.