So what great gems will we have on tv this Christmas?

Old December 20th 18, 11:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default So what great gems will we have on tv this Christmas?

I'm probably not going to be impressed, so i was just wondering if, for once
we might get a documentary that did more than dumb down an interesting
subject of science, for example, but from recent experience it is looking
like that will never happen.

Old December 20th 18, 12:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Gaines

I have decide that it's not Christmas food that causes repeats, it's
Christmas itself.

On 20/12/2018 in message Brian Gaff wrote:

I'm probably not going to be impressed, so i was just wondering if, for
once we might get a documentary that did more than dumb down an
interesting subject of science, for example, but from recent experience it
is looking like that will never happen.

Jeff Gaines Wiltshire UK
That's an amazing invention but who would ever want to use one of them?
(President Hayes speaking to Alexander Graham Bell on the invention of the
telephone)
Old December 20th 18, 12:36 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes has anyone come up with the retro Christmas yet. A complete Christmas
and boxing day full of all the shows and ads and news from, say 1967 or
something, so you can live in the past. At that time colour had arrived on
BBC2 and sets were out there, but many programs were still in black and
white. Or maybe a couple of years later when some of the main transmitting
sites were now coming on line for the other channels too. It was a weird
mixture of colour and black and whit, of course back then it was all 4x3 and
many colour sets were a little green on black and white with purity and
convergence errors all over the place. However you still found that B/W
looked better as most b/w sets then had AC coupling to the video basically
stopping a set black level from happening.
I modified an old Rediffusion Mk 10 aerial receiver to have a dc restorer
but found you had to beef up the eht a bit to stop bright flashing scenes
from ballooning the picture about a bit.

Fun times. No need for a heater the valves kept the room quite warm enough.

Old December 20th 18, 01:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 20/12/2018 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm probably not going to be impressed, so i was just wondering if, for once
we might get a documentary that did more than dumb down an interesting
subject of science

I notice that the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are starting on
Boxing day on BBC4.

Last year's was a bit crap, but the previous years were interesting so I
am hoping that this year they will be be worth watching.

Jim

Old December 20th 18, 02:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
R. Mark Clayton[_2_]

On Thursday, 20 December 2018 10:08:53 UTC, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm probably not going to be impressed, so i was just wondering if, for once
we might get a documentary that did more than dumb down an interesting
subject of science, for example, but from recent experience it is looking
like that will never happen.
Brian

We seem to get groundhog decade with Top of the Pops and the Morecombe and Wise Xmas shows from the seventies.

OTOH didn't they used to have Royal Society Xmas lectures?
Old December 20th 18, 03:09 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Indy Jess John" wrote in message
On 20/12/2018 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'm probably not going to be impressed, so i was just wondering if, for
once
we might get a documentary that did more than dumb down an interesting
subject of science

I notice that the Royal Institution Christmas Lectures are starting on
Boxing day on BBC4.

Last year's was a bit crap, but the previous years were interesting so I
am hoping that this year they will be be worth watching.

Dr Alice is presenting it

(I'd never have guessed she is 45, she's only recently had her second child)

tim

Old December 20th 18, 03:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 20/12/2018 14:09, tim... wrote:

Dr Alice is presenting it

Professor Roberts, to you and me.
Old December 20th 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/2018 14:09, tim... wrote:

Dr Alice is presenting it

(I'd never have guessed she is 45, she's only recently had her second
child)

tim

Oh I'll watch it with the sound down if she's doing it.

Old December 20th 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 20/12/2018 14:13, Java Jive wrote:
On 20/12/2018 14:09, tim... wrote:

Dr Alice is presenting it

Professor Roberts, to you and me.

Highly shaggable to me.

Old December 20th 18, 05:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes but I fell asleep last year.
The problem is its not really challenging stuff. The fact that its aimed
at youngsters is also a bit of an issue for me.
I really would like a more in depth discussion of how radiation damages dna
or why the speed of light is finite and absolute zero is the temperature it
is and stuff like that.