The wonders of AM

Old December 17th 18, 11:32 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default The wonders of AM

Actually you can still hear French on long and medium wave but they seem to
be commercial of some sort I will have to have a listen.

"Ulrich Onken" wrote in message
On 16.12.2018 19:59, Bill Wright wrote:
I came by a fairly ancient Panasonic ghetto blaster the other day. Great
big thing it is. Anyway in an idle moment I tried it on AM radio. The
interference was horrendous. I turned all the lights off and that reduced
it but it was still bad.

One surprise was the number of Spanish stations. I wonder why there are
so many. I didn't hear a single German or French one as far as I could
tell.

Spain has still got a larger number of AM stations, oeprated by the state
broadcaster RNE and by commercial stations. There is an overview at
https://www.mwlist.org/ (guest login, country = E).

Both France and Germany have terminated all AM broadcasting about two
years ago in order to reduce distribution costs. Austria and Switzerland
had done the same years ago.

BBC Radio 4 on LF 198 kHz is one of the few stations that can still be
picked up in this part of the world, provided that the noise level created
by various electronic crap permits.

Regards,
Uli

Old December 17th 18, 04:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bilou[_2_]

Brian Gaff avait soumis l'idée :
I also note that on Long wave the Irish station is being clobbered by
a French one these days which I do not recall from the past.

Hi
The French Speaking station on 252KHz is in fact Algeria.
A rather nice DX from England.
At times it puts very a strong signal here in France.
On MW the only French Station left is Bretagne 5 on 1593 Khz.
US dxing is best early in the morning before sunrise here and after
sunset for them .
1600 to 1700KHz is a good choice and free from interference at that
time.
Old December 17th 18, 09:10 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ulrich Onken[_3_]

On 17.12.2018 11:32, Brian Gaff wrote:
Actually you can still hear French on long and medium wave but they seem to
be commercial of some sort I will have to have a listen.

You are right, I forgot to mention the commercial long wave stations
with a target audience in France (Europe 1 on 183 kHz, RMC on 216 kHz
and RTL on 234 kHz). Over the years they have extended their VHF-FM
networks in France, so I guess that they will also close down their LF
transmitters sooner or later.

There is/was also "Bretagne 5" on medium wave 1593 kHz with low power.

Regards,
Uli

Old December 18th 18, 04:21 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 10:17:57 -0000, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Yes, I often found that AM went through a period where birdies were
commonplace, as if the oscillator was full of harmonics and the ferrite
tuning stage was less than selective.

The noise on AM from devices is indeed bad, and worse still short wave sets
show it to extend up to nearly 30 megs. However pull out all switch mode
supplies, power line internet adaptors and turn off the lights for about
three houses each way and a whole new world is revealed which we used to
enjoy just a few short years ago.
Of course if you are unlucky enough to level near overground phone lines
with internet on them, you still won't hear much.

Brian

In the city here MW interference was awful until recently when the
council changed the street lights from orange to LED and I can now
listen to R5L on MW.
- Mike
Old December 18th 18, 07:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

wrote:

Yes, I often found that AM went through a period where birdies were
commonplace, as if the oscillator was full of harmonics and the ferrite
tuning stage was less than selective.

The noise on AM from devices is indeed bad, and worse still short wave sets
show it to extend up to nearly 30 megs. However pull out all switch mode
supplies, power line internet adaptors and turn off the lights for about
three houses each way and a whole new world is revealed which we used to
enjoy just a few short years ago.
Of course if you are unlucky enough to level near overground phone lines
with internet on them, you still won't hear much.

Brian

In the city here MW interference was awful until recently when the
council changed the street lights from orange to LED and I can now
listen to R5L on MW.
- Mike

That's interesting. When I changed my kitchen lights to LED the DAB
radio stopped working. Has your DAB recepton been affected.
Old December 18th 18, 07:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

wrote:

[...]

The LED lights in the lobby outside my flat interfere with FM.

--
Max Demian
Old December 19th 18, 10:25 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 18:39:48 +0000, Max Demian
wrote:

In the city here MW interference was awful until recently when the
council changed the street lights from orange to LED and I can now
listen to R5L on MW.

That's interesting. When I changed my kitchen lights to LED the DAB
radio stopped working. Has your DAB recepton been affected.

The LED lights in the lobby outside my flat interfere with FM.

With one exception, every light in my house is LED, and everything
works as it previously did.

The exception is the ceiling light in the kitchen, which is one of
those "double-D" fluorescent fittings. (LED replacements are
available, but expensive). It doesn't interfere electrically with
anything as far as I know, but it makes an audible high-pitched whine.

I wonder if there's a particular brand, or type, or circuit
arrangement that makes some LED lamps cause interference while others
are perfectly fine?

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old December 19th 18, 10:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 19/12/2018 09:25, Roderick Stewart wrote:

The exception is the ceiling light in the kitchen, which is one of
those "double-D" fluorescent fittings.

I have got one of those in my bathroom. It doesn't make any noise at
all apart from a click when it first comes on.

Jim
Old December 19th 18, 11:05 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Scott[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

My problem arose because I was using 12 volt bulbs. I understand the
rectification is the cause and of course (approximately) a 12 volt
unit will draw 20x current. I had 14 of them !!!
Old December 19th 18, 03:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
mike

wrote:

[...]

No, no change at all.

I think there are different quality domestic LED lamps about. Some
while ago I bought some via ebay and they caused such terrible
interference on FM radio that I sent them back for a refund. I then
bought a couple from B&Q (their own brand, I think) and they proved to
be fine, no interference on FM even when tuned away from a station.
- Mike