The wonders of AM

Old December 16th 18, 06:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default The wonders of AM

I came by a fairly ancient Panasonic ghetto blaster the other day. Great
big thing it is. Anyway in an idle moment I tried it on AM radio. The
interference was horrendous. I turned all the lights off and that
reduced it but it was still bad.

One surprise was the number of Spanish stations. I wonder why there are
so many. I didn't hear a single German or French one as far as I could
tell.

I could receive Caroline from Orford Ness and also Caroline North, which
seems to be Manx Radio really.

I had to go out so I thought I'd try the car radio on AM, just for
comparison. Nothing. Not a peep. I suppose it's broken. I don't recall
ever trying it before.

On FM the Panasonic seems to be very sensitive, but a strong signal will
be spread across five channels.

Old December 16th 18, 07:53 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver[_2_]

On 16/12/2018 18:59, Bill Wright wrote:

One surprise was the number of Spanish stations. I wonder why there are
so many. I didn't hear a single German or French one as far as I could
tell.

The Germans have never had too much on AM, they lost out on allocations
after WWII.

There was quite a good summary of AM in Europe in DS a few weeks ago:-

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment_92078544

--
Mark
Old December 16th 18, 08:11 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Dave W[_2_]

On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 18:59:04 +0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

I came by a fairly ancient Panasonic ghetto blaster the other day. Great
big thing it is. Anyway in an idle moment I tried it on AM radio. The
interference was horrendous. I turned all the lights off and that
reduced it but it was still bad.

One surprise was the number of Spanish stations. I wonder why there are
so many. I didn't hear a single German or French one as far as I could
tell.

I could receive Caroline from Orford Ness and also Caroline North, which
seems to be Manx Radio really.

I had to go out so I thought I'd try the car radio on AM, just for
comparison. Nothing. Not a peep. I suppose it's broken. I don't recall
ever trying it before.

On FM the Panasonic seems to be very sensitive, but a strong signal will
be spread across five channels.

Bill

Your car radio might have a sensitivity setting, set to 'local only'.
--
Dave W
Old December 16th 18, 08:14 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/12/2018 19:53, Mark Carver wrote:

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discus...mment_92078544

Thanks for that. Interesting.

Old December 16th 18, 09:44 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Ulrich Onken[_3_]

On 16.12.2018 19:59, Bill Wright wrote:
I came by a fairly ancient Panasonic ghetto blaster the other day. Great
big thing it is. Anyway in an idle moment I tried it on AM radio. The
interference was horrendous. I turned all the lights off and that
reduced it but it was still bad.

One surprise was the number of Spanish stations. I wonder why there are
so many. I didn't hear a single German or French one as far as I could
tell.

Spain has still got a larger number of AM stations, oeprated by the
state broadcaster RNE and by commercial stations. There is an overview
at https://www.mwlist.org/ (guest login, country = E).

Both France and Germany have terminated all AM broadcasting about two
years ago in order to reduce distribution costs. Austria and Switzerland
had done the same years ago.

BBC Radio 4 on LF 198 kHz is one of the few stations that can still be
picked up in this part of the world, provided that the noise level
created by various electronic crap permits.

Regards,
Uli
Old December 17th 18, 02:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

wrote:

[...]

That's a thought. But if so it must make the radio incredibly deaf
because we have several strong MF signals here.

Old December 17th 18, 02:27 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/12/2018 21:44, Ulrich Onken wrote:

Both France and Germany have terminated all AM broadcasting about two
years ago in order to reduce distribution costs. Austria and Switzerland
had done the same years ago.

That explains it then.

Old December 17th 18, 10:17 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Yes, I often found that AM went through a period where birdies were
commonplace, as if the oscillator was full of harmonics and the ferrite
tuning stage was less than selective.

The noise on AM from devices is indeed bad, and worse still short wave sets
show it to extend up to nearly 30 megs. However pull out all switch mode
supplies, power line internet adaptors and turn off the lights for about
three houses each way and a whole new world is revealed which we used to
enjoy just a few short years ago.
Of course if you are unlucky enough to level near overground phone lines
with internet on them, you still won't hear much.

news

Old December 17th 18, 10:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I do notice though that there are quite a few dutch language ones,
particularly at the he end. Whether these are Belgian or Netherlands I am
not sure.

There are also Turkish ones and some French ones.
Not a lot of German. I also note that on Loong wave the Irish station is
being clobbered by a French one these days which I do not recall from the
past.
With regard to AM in a car, usually you have to tweak a little trimmer to
resonate the aerial and rf stage to get much out of them.

We had a Motorola and this adjustment was very critical and dependent on the
aerial.

Old December 17th 18, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

No its either bust or the rf stage is not tuned for the aerial.
Incidentally about a week ago I was up at around 2am and I heard some
stations from the Canary Isles. Some bits were in fact in both English and
Spanish. I recall the last time I was down that way in the 80s it was common
to hear UK stations from there on medium wave so obviously the reverse is
also true. Some Arabic sounding music was presumably from Algeria, which is
a skip and a hop away I guess.

You can also hear the 1Khz beat of stations outside of the EU plan as they
use different channel spacing. Sometimes in a very slow fade you can make
out US accents and country music, but you could not listen to them as the
fading and interference is truly awful. I did build myself a three foot
frame type aerial with tuning for my communications receiver and that
worked better but was still not quite good enough to bring US stations in
all the time late at night. Most of the issue is the interference and the
fact that very few transmitters now close in Europe at night any more.