daftest one yet

Old December 16th 18, 01:36 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default daftest one yet

Neighbour and customer: "Bill, either my ears have gone or the telly's
broke."
Bill: "I'll pop round. Get t'kettle on."
(shortly afterwards) I wordlessly turned up the volume, then I drank the
tea.

Old December 16th 18, 02:38 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Bill Wright wrote:

I wordlessly turned up the volume

Separate volume controls on an STB and TV, by any chance?

My parents' setup is like that, I think mum adjusts volume on one, and
Dad on the other, so it ends up with 1/64 multiplied by 99/100 or
whatever, so a single 'notch' changes from blaring to silent ...
Old December 16th 18, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Was this a two rocker button on remote control type volume?
I hate these everything has them and whereas on a knob you can have some
kind of idea where its set to, on the buttons you cannot. It just seems to
need a cat to sit on the remote at some time and there you are.
Brian

news

Old December 16th 18, 02:13 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/12/2018 01:38, Andy Burns wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

I wordlessly turned up the volume

Separate volume controls on an STB and TV, by any chance?

No, not this time. It was daftness pure and simple. But when I was
working we used to get occasional complaints of background noise when
watching via a box. The box volume would very low and the telly volume
would be at max.

Old December 17th 18, 10:16 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Chris J Dixon

Bill Wright wrote:

Neighbour and customer: "Bill, either my ears have gone or the telly's
broke."
Bill: "I'll pop round. Get t'kettle on."
(shortly afterwards) I wordlessly turned up the volume, then I drank the
tea.

A friend of mine was upset that her portable radio didn't seem to
turn on reliably any more.

A quick prod of a few buttons and it sprang to life, no longer
constrained by the alarm settings. ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Plant amazing Acers.
Old December 17th 18, 11:12 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Oh yes I have one of these. It indicates this, apparently with a little
graphic in a miniscule lcd that even well sighted people cannot see without
a magnifying glass. I blame the designer. You should not be able to get into
a non working position by randomly poking buttons.

Old December 17th 18, 12:00 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Max Demian

On 17/12/2018 10:12, Brian Gaff wrote:
Oh yes I have one of these. It indicates this, apparently with a little
graphic in a miniscule lcd that even well sighted people cannot see without
a magnifying glass. I blame the designer. You should not be able to get into
a non working position by randomly poking buttons.

The procedure for setting the time and alarm on clock radios always
requires patience and consultation of the manual IME.

--
Max Demian
Old December 17th 18, 01:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Clive Page[_3_]

On 17/12/2018 11:00, Max Demian wrote:

The procedure for setting the time and alarm on clock radios always requires patience and consultation of the manual IME.

The worst situation is when you go to bed in a hotel room with one of those provided on the bedside table and you wonder whether the last occupant has set the alarm to go off at 4 am. No hotel ever provides a manual, in my experience, and given the intractable user interface, the best way to be sure is to remove the power source i.e. remove battery or unplug from the mains.

--
Clive Page
Old December 17th 18, 02:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Java Jive[_3_]

On 17/12/2018 12:48, Clive Page wrote:
On 17/12/2018 11:00, Max Demian wrote:

The procedure for setting the time and alarm on clock radios always
requires patience and consultation of the manual IME.

The worst situation is when you go to bed in a hotel room with one of
those provided on the bedside table and you wonder whether the last
occupant has set the alarm to go off at 4 am.* No hotel ever provides a
manual, in my experience, and given the intractable user interface, the
best way to be sure is to remove the power source i.e. remove battery or
unplug from the mains.

Oh! That reminds me ...
http://www.macfh.co.uk/Macfarlane/Re...ermudlian.html

Old December 17th 18, 03:19 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 17/12/2018 09:16, Chris J Dixon wrote:
Bill Wright wrote:

Neighbour and customer: "Bill, either my ears have gone or the telly's
broke."
Bill: "I'll pop round. Get t'kettle on."
(shortly afterwards) I wordlessly turned up the volume, then I drank the
tea.

A friend of mine was upset that her portable radio didn't seem to
turn on reliably any more.

A quick prod of a few buttons and it sprang to life, no longer
constrained by the alarm settings. ;-)

Chris

Confession: I was fooled for some time by a device that wouldn't turn
on. I had ignored the button marked 'operate'.