Edge of Tomorrow - non-existent programme recording clash

Old December 9th 18, 07:49 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

Default Edge of Tomorrow - non-existent programme recording clash

I just tried to set up recording of the film "Edge of Tomorrow" on Ch5
at 2100 tonight. My Panasonic PVR reports an overlapping programme
clash, and asked me to resolve it.

But I have only two programmes set to record tonight, and they end
before 2100. When I asked it to show the problem programmes, it showed
two I am recording tomorrow - and both those finish before 2100 too! I
get a similar result trying to record Ch5+1 on 44.

I don't understand what going on here, unless the recording info Ch5 has
created for "Edge of Tomorrow" is incorrect. Any ideas?

--

Jeff
Old December 9th 18, 11:12 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
PeterC

On Sun, 9 Dec 2018 18:49:49 +0000, Jeff Layman wrote:

I just tried to set up recording of the film "Edge of Tomorrow" on Ch5
at 2100 tonight. My Panasonic PVR reports an overlapping programme
clash, and asked me to resolve it.

But I have only two programmes set to record tonight, and they end
before 2100. When I asked it to show the problem programmes, it showed
two I am recording tomorrow - and both those finish before 2100 too! I
get a similar result trying to record Ch5+1 on 44.

I don't understand what going on here, unless the recording info Ch5 has
created for "Edge of Tomorrow" is incorrect. Any ideas?

Well, judging from the thread on Ch 5 recording both showings of a film,
there is another "Edge of Tomorrow" in a few days' time nad that could be
the clash.
I tried to set a recording for something next Saturday, on a BBC channel,
and it told me that there was a clash with something on 13th. when I tried
for the series (I was going for the second episode, didn't know that it was
a series - and a search didn't show another episode)! I gave up and just
set that one.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Old December 9th 18, 11:39 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 09/12/18 22:12, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Yes, I see it is on Thursday at 2200, but I don't have anything down for
recording then anyway. As it happens, shortly after my OP I deleted one
of the /Monday/ programmes which it supposedly clashed with and tried
again to schedule the recording. This time it went without problem. Go
figure...

--

Jeff
Old December 10th 18, 01:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

On 09/12/18 22:12, PeterC wrote:
[...]

I find this happens a lot with C5 movies when they are repeated again
later in the week and the PVR (mine is a Humax) ends up set to record
both showings.

I resolve this by editing the entry once set up to dump the split and
the second showing, so I get a single recording of the whole film the
first time it is shown.

I find editing out the spilt is worth doing anyway, as all too often
they seem to cock up the restart and you miss the first half minute or
so.
Old December 10th 18, 08:19 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 10/12/18 00:19, Yellow wrote:
In article , lid
says...

On 09/12/18 22:12, PeterC wrote:
[...]

The Panasonic records both halves seamlessly. It doesn't show a split
(although there must be a jump between end of first part ans start of
second part somewhere!).

--

Jeff
Old December 10th 18, 06:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Yellow[_3_]

In article , lid
says...

On 10/12/18 00:19, Yellow wrote:
In article ,
lid
says...

On 09/12/18 22:12, PeterC wrote:
[...]

That is a very useful feature, but it of course does not help when the
broadcaster puts their start and stop signals in the wrong places unless
it auto-pads too, which of course it might.
Old December 10th 18, 08:30 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Jeff Layman[_2_]

On 10/12/18 18:06, Pamela wrote:
On 22:39 9 Dec 2018, Jeff Layman wrote in
news
On 09/12/18 22:12, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Is there a setting on your PVR to always start a certain number of minutes
early or finish a few minutes late?

Yes, I can use padding for manual recording. I've never tried it with an
EPG-based recording for adding extra minutes at the end; in fact, I
don't even know if it's possible. But what advantage (or otherwise)
would this give over an EPG recording?

--

Jeff
Old December 19th 18, 11:23 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roger Wilmut[_2_]

On 2018-12-10 17:51:24 +0000, Yellow said:

In article ,
says...

Does seem to be that whoever is doing the ch5 program guide has not got a
degree in telling the time and date.
Brian

C5 are dreadful for cocking up series link type recordings too.

I have been recording Friends for example and for the first couple of
series I got all the episodes in the week, 2 a day, and then them all
again when they were repeated on Sunday.

Then suddenly someone must have realised and it stopped recording the
Sunday ones as they were given their own series link ID.

I have also set the recorder for a single showing of The Gadget Show and
ended up with the same programme recorded 4 or 5 times.

I think it's an inherent problem with Freeview's linking. I've had the
same problem with the Paramount Channel on a Humax PVR. There's no
problem if the film is shown uninterrupted, but if it's split across a
break of some sort then selecting to record the first half
automatically covers the second half (which is good, because it's easy
to miss the fact that there is a second half) but then it records any
subsequent placings of the same film, which is silly.

Clipping the beginning of the second half happens occasionally - I
think the issue is that some channels don't put up the flags, so that
the machine default to the scheduled times in the EPG which aren't
being properly observed. If you add padding the effect is global, so
that it mucks up the auto-start/stop on every recording. so it's
simpler to delete the further placings once the first one has been
recorded.