Browser on Samsung Smart TV

Old November 26th 18, 10:48 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

Default Browser on Samsung Smart TV

Several of the early facilities are now inaccessible to my 'smart' TV.
I updated the software a few days ago but still cannot stream from ITV or
4, or I think from My5.

I can get iplayer and Netflix but the loss of he others is irritating.
Has anyone found a way round this?

--
Ubuntu 18.04, kernel 4.15.0-38-generic, Cinnamon 3.6.7
running on an AMD Phenom II X4 Black edition.
Old November 27th 18, 03:39 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

Great, they were useless ****.

I updated the software a few days ago but still cannot stream from ITV or
4, or I think from My5.

I can get iplayer and Netflix but the loss of he others is irritating.
Has anyone found a way round this?

Buy a chromecast (or firestick etc)?

Old November 27th 18, 09:44 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
brightside

On Mon, 26 Nov 2018 22:48:30 -0000 (UTC), pinnerite
wrote:

Several of the early facilities are now inaccessible to my 'smart' TV.
I updated the software a few days ago but still cannot stream from ITV or
4, or I think from My5.

I can get iplayer and Netflix but the loss of he others is irritating.
Has anyone found a way round this?

Are you saying those apps are missing / not working? If so go to
smart hub/ samsung apps/ most popular and scroll down the six pages of
apps.

You should find MY5 and ITV HUB. They will be tagged as 'Free' or
'Installed'. You can install them or uninstal and reinstal from the
list of apps.

HTH

--
brightside S9
Old November 28th 18, 08:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

wrote:

Several of the early facilities are now inaccessible to my 'smart' TV.
I updated the software a few days ago but still cannot stream from ITV
or 4, or I think from My5.

I can get iplayer and Netflix but the loss of he others is irritating.
Has anyone found a way round this?

Are you saying those apps are missing / not working? If so go to smart
hub/ samsung apps/ most popular and scroll down the six pages of apps.

You should find MY5 and ITV HUB. They will be tagged as 'Free' or
'Installed'. You can install them or uninstal and reinstal from the list
of apps.

HTH

I got excited on reading this, only to discover my TV (UE55F6800) does
not have a 'Samsung apps' option. On the hub are just about six icons at
the foot of the screen for Netflix, iplayer etc.

'Menu' and 'Tools' were no help either.

During the search we found that we did not remember setting a password
and could not get beyond any of the points requiring one. I know how to
fix that. I just need access.

Thanks for the pointer.

Regards, Alan

Old November 28th 18, 11:17 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

wrote:

[...]

Most default passwords if you haven't deliberately set one is 0000
Try that. If it doesn't work the user manual will usually tell you what
the default is.

Jim
Old November 29th 18, 10:50 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Roderick Stewart[_3_]

On Wed, 28 Nov 2018 23:26:38 GMT, Pamela
wrote:

Consider a smart stick? Last week Amazon were selling it's Fire TV
stick (including remote control) for 25 in its sale. It's now back up
to 40 but I suspect it will come down again soon.

Just wait for the next bank holiday, mothers' day, fathers' day etc.
Any time they think lots of people will be at home and in a good mood
(therefore inclined to spend money) they lower the prices of some of
their own gadgets, and it's a good time to buy one.

I've noticed they don't seem to be offering the box version of the
Fire TV any more, just the stick. The original stick wasn't quite as
responsive as the box bersion, but maybe they've improved the
electronics since then and decided there's no poiint in two versions.

Rod.

---
https://www.avg.com

Old November 29th 18, 11:10 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
brightside

wrote:

Consider a smart stick? Last week Amazon were selling it's Fire TV
stick (including remote control) for 25 in its sale. It's now back up
to 40 but I suspect it will come down again soon.

Just wait for the next bank holiday, mothers' day, fathers' day etc.
Any time they think lots of people will be at home and in a good mood
(therefore inclined to spend money) they lower the prices of some of
their own gadgets, and it's a good time to buy one.

I've noticed they don't seem to be offering the box version of the
Fire TV any more, just the stick. The original stick wasn't quite as
responsive as the box bersion, but maybe they've improved the
electronics since then and decided there's no poiint in two versions.

And there are "apps" on the firestick that aren't on the Samsung Apps.
I have a Firestick in my Samsung Smart TV - It is excellent and faster
than the Samsung offerings.

--
brightside S9
Old November 29th 18, 06:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
pinnerite

wrote:

[...]

This will become a moot point once I crack my MySQL/mythTV problems.

Old November 29th 18, 07:43 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"pinnerite" wrote in message
news
This will become a moot point once I crack my MySQL/mythTV problems.

When I was investigating using a Raspberry Pi instead of a Windows PC for
always-on tasks like PVR and logging weather-station data, I knew that I
wouldn't be able to carry on using NextPVR which was the dog's ********,
because they don't do a Unix version, so I investigated MythTV and TVHeadend
as two possible substitutes. I quickly decided that Myth was too damn
awkward to set up and use because it had a crap UI (fields that were too
small to contain the values that were displayed, but with no way of
scrolling the value sideways to see the hidden part). And the need to create
a separate virtual tuner for each physical tuner if you wanted to record
several simultaneous programmes from the same mux/tuner.

TVHeadend (intended for use with Kodi, but with a good free-standing web UI
as an alternative) is much better. OK, it lacks a grid (channel down the
page, time across the page) which took some getting used to, but there's no
faffing around with virtual tuners: if you want to record multiple things
you just set them and the software works out automatically that they are all
on the same mux, or else allocates some to a second tuner.

TVH probably scores 1 1/2 out of the regulation 2 on the Dog's ********
scale :-)

Old November 29th 18, 07:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

NY wrote:

"pinnerite" wrote:

This will become a moot point once I crack my MySQL/mythTV problems.

TVHeadend is much better.

I stuck with mythTV for too long and am glad to have switched to TVheadend.