I have a new Tuner card in my computer and want to implement LCN support.....

Old January 7th 19, 10:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default I have a new Tuner card in my computer and want to implement LCN support.....

I have treated myself to a DVBSky card T9580.

This is a PCIe card that has TWO tuners, one being a DVB-T2 tuner and the other is a DVB-S2 tuner.

This is connected to my Freeview and Freesat home distribution system.

All channels have all tuned in OK on both Freeview and on Freesat.

I also junked the rubbish DVBSky supplied software and I now have a paid for copy of DVBviewer professional edition (its the puppies privates so to speak.)

However, the DVBviewer with the DVBSKy card does not implement LCNs.

The only choices of listing the channels is by frequency order or alphabetically or by provider.

I know I could create a custom channel list and reorder the channels, which I would have to do twice, one for Freeview and one for Freesat.

The trouble with this is that if I do a retune for either Freeview or Freesat, I would have to do the custom channel list again which will be a major PITA.

Does anyone know how I can implement LCN support for both Freeview and Freesat?

I used to have a Nebula Electronics DVB-T tuner card that did a fantastic job of implementing LCN support but (a) the company is no longer in business and (b) DVB=T2 support was lacking and (c) I wanted to get Freesat on my PC and hence the new card.

In a related vein, I have two independent IRSes at my house. The Freeview, Freesat, CCTV, FM and DAB is on one IRS and the other IRS is a 17 wire system with Astra 1, Hotbird, Hispasat and Atlantic Bird 5.0W on it.

The DVBsky card incidentally supports diseqc 1.1 for DVB-S2

I would like to know if its possible to buy a 2nd DVBsky card and install a separate version of DVBviewer in a different directory for the 4 satellite positions or will this cause issues with the existing card that is currently used for Freeview and Freesat?

Should I get a different make and model of card to avoid conflicts between the two cards?
Old January 8th 19, 08:57 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I do not think you can run two at once, particularly on the software side
from what I've read over the years
The main reason why I have not gone down the pc tv route here is that very
few of these bits of software seem to have been written with screenreaders
in mind and considering the cost, they cannot just be trusted to work.

Old January 8th 19, 11:31 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

wrote in message
However, the DVBviewer with the DVBSKy card does not implement LCNs.

The only choices of listing the channels is by frequency order or
alphabetically or by provider.

I know I could create a custom channel list and reorder the channels,
which I would have to do twice, one for Freeview and one for Freesat.

The trouble with this is that if I do a retune for either Freeview or
Freesat, I would have to do the custom channel list again which will be a
major PITA.

Does anyone know how I can implement LCN support for both Freeview and
Freesat?

Do you have to use that DVBviewer software? Have you tried other (free)
packages such as NextPVR or TVHeadend? They definitely support LCNs on DVB-T
and AFAIK will do so for DVB-S as well. I'm not certain what DVB adaptor
interface/APIs NextPVR and TVH need - probably BDA.

It may be worth a try downloading NextPVR and trying it. Its user interface,
both for configuration and end-user, is probably a bit more intuitive than
TVH's (eg it has a conventional time-versus-channel grid for its EPG). (For
my usage, TVH is the only option on a Raspberry Pi because Next isn't
available for that platform, so I have to live with the event-list EPG
rather than a grid EPG.)

As a matter of interest, when a PC has both terrestrial and satellite
tuners, how does it handle the problem of LCNs which are duplicated (though
not for the same channel) between the DVB-T and DVB-S?

Old January 8th 19, 11:37 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]

NY wrote:

Do you have to use that DVBviewer software? Have you tried other (free)
packages such as NextPVR or TVHeadend? They definitely support LCNs on
DVB-T and AFAIK will do so for DVB-S as well. I'm not certain what DVB
adaptor interface/APIs NextPVR and TVH need - probably BDA.

BDA drivers are for windows, but TVH doesn't run on Windows ... if the
O/P is willing to look e.g at linux, I'd definitely recommend looking at
TVH.
Old January 8th 19, 11:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
NY wrote:

Do you have to use that DVBviewer software? Have you tried other (free)
packages such as NextPVR or TVHeadend? They definitely support LCNs on
DVB-T and AFAIK will do so for DVB-S as well. I'm not certain what DVB
adaptor interface/APIs NextPVR and TVH need - probably BDA.

BDA drivers are for windows, but TVH doesn't run on Windows ... if the O/P
is willing to look e.g at linux, I'd definitely recommend looking at TVH.

Ah, is BDA Windows-specific? I hadn't realised that.

Well the Windows and Linux drivers for the DVB-T tuners that I have
(Hauppauge Win-TV Nova and PCTV 292e) have whatever interfaces are necessary
for Windows Media Centre, NextPVR and TVH (I've only run TVH on Linux -
Raspbian and Ubuntu).

I can recommend:

- NextPVR on Windows (probably slightly easier to configure and to use)

- TVH on Linux (as long as you are OK with searching for programmes by title
rather than using a grid, or are willing to install a front-end such as
Kodi)

I googled "TVH Windows" and saw a posting from someone who appeared to have
got it working, but when I looked more closely it seems to be a convoluted
process involving a network tuner ("Will not expect it to work with USB/PCI
tuners as there is no access to hardware") and "Linux on windows
subsystem" - so not really running on Windows, talking to USB or PCI
adaptor. So forget TVH on Windows (for the moment, anyway!)

Old January 8th 19, 11:29 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Daniallo[_4_]

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 11:31:26 -0000, NY wrote:

Do you have to use that DVBviewer software? Have you tried other (free)
packages such as NextPVR or TVHeadend? They definitely support LCNs on DVB-T
and AFAIK will do so for DVB-S as well. I'm not certain what DVB adaptor
interface/APIs NextPVR and TVH need - probably BDA.

Argus TV, not developed for a while, but works OK, will merge DVB-S & T
services to one channel & does LCNs happily. Plugins available for Kodi &
Mediaportal.
The only downside of homebrew stuff like this is no auto updating of movers
& leavers in the guide.