amplifier for Silver Sensor?

Old December 18th 03, 12:58 PM
magnulus

Default amplifier for Silver Sensor?

Is there any benefit to using a signal amplifier with the Silver Sensor?

I finally found the perfect position to get all of the big local channels,
but signal strength is only 69 percent according to the Samsung set top box,
but it goes up to 77 percent for one of the VHF channels. Nevertheless, it
appears to work OK, even when I walk around the room the signal doesn't
break up.. I cannot get a few of the stations that are in the wrong
directions or using low-power transimissions, though (the local Pax channel,
but then I don't watch much on Pax). I bought 50 feet of inexpensive coax
cable and put the antenna on a tall bookshelf on the opposite side of the
room from the TV (I was not sure 25 feet would work).

I've tried 5 different antennas and none of them worked as well as the
Silver Sensor, but the Silver Sensor is also annoying directional. So
little movement, as much as 5 degrees, and it throws off one of the
channels.

Old December 18th 03, 06:01 PM
Tech

"magnulus" wrote in message
Is there any benefit to using a signal amplifier with the Silver Sensor?

I finally found the perfect position to get all of the big local

channels,
but signal strength is only 69 percent according to the Samsung set top

box,
but it goes up to 77 percent for one of the VHF channels

Funny. Those are the exact same signal strength readings I get on my Samsung
stb. (in N.J.)

Old December 18th 03, 06:44 PM
Tommy Donlon

Silver plated cabels are used by Sony at Consumer Electronic Shows. View
www.bettercables.com

Silver Serpent component start at $99 a meter(3+ feet)

Old December 18th 03, 07:42 PM
magnulus

"Chris Thomas" wrote in message
m...

This is a reasonable for the meter to work. What you want to do is
minimize the error rate, not just maximize the absolute strength of
the received signal. I just wish the industry called the reading
something like "signal quality" instead of "signal strength".

So what's the minimum error rate that will result in no dropouts in the
picture? 50 percent? Is 69 percent "good enough"? I've read that
inexpensive cable looses about 1-2 dB per 25 feet. At 50 feet, I could be
loosing 2-4 dB of signal.

On my Fusion HDTV II card, anything less than 78 percent gets periodic
stuttering and audio synching problems, and anything below 70 is
unwatchable.

I have gotten higher numbers using an inexpensive Magnavox VHF + UHF loop
on the set-top-box, but the signal was very vulnerable. IE, I could have 90
percent one second, then a total dropout the next if I walked around the
room at all.

Old December 19th 03, 04:31 AM
Jeff Rife

magnulus ) wrote in alt.tv.tech.hdtv:
So what's the minimum error rate that will result in no dropouts in the
picture?

There isn't one, since errors get corrected by FEC (forward error
correction). The meter displays the inverse of the total errors. Unless
some of the errors are uncorrected, you should get a perfect display.

Since a dropout is caused by a temporary jump in the error rate until there
*are* uncorrectable errors, you could run with very low meter readings and
never get a dropout as long as all the errors are spread out enough.

50 percent? Is 69 percent "good enough"? I've read that
inexpensive cable looses about 1-2 dB per 25 feet. At 50 feet, I could be
loosing 2-4 dB of signal.

Don't worry about this. I have stations that display 80-90 on my meter
and a 20dB attenuator only pushes them down to about 65, with no increase
in dropouts. It takes about 10dB attenuation to kill a station that is
at about 50 on the meter originally, and about 20dB to kill a station that
is at about 65 originally.

Basically, a signal has to be so close to the threshold already for an
extra 2dB to really cause problems that it is unlikely that this is the
issue.

On my Fusion HDTV II card, anything less than 78 percent gets periodic
stuttering and audio synching problems, and anything below 70 is
unwatchable.

This could be the Fusion software. You really need to record the problem
signal without having the software output any picture while it is doing
it. Then, play it back and see what it is like. If it is still bad,
put the file on a CD and see what somebody with a full hardware MPEG
decoder (like the MIT cards) sees when they play it back.

--
Jeff Rife | "Five thousand dollars, huh? I'll bet we could
For address harvesters: | afford that if we pooled our money together...

Old December 20th 03, 01:01 AM
Mark Atanovich

Yeah, right next to the snake oil....