Audio problem with Philips DVD player

Old December 27th 08, 03:55 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Mr. Mike

Default Audio problem with Philips DVD player

My Philips DVP5990 DVD player has a very peculiar audio problem.

Whenever I start a DVD or use the Previous/Next buttons to skip to the
next title/chapter/track, and there is audio at that point, there is a
brief (1-2 second) delay in the audio, even though you can see the
picture. This also happens when the DVD player just advances to the
next title/chapter/track on its own in the normal course of events
while playing a DVD.

I have the DVD player's HDMI connected directly to my Samsung TV,
though this is just for the video. The coaxial audio out goes to my
Yamaha amplifier via an RCA type cord (this older amplifier doesn't
have any HDMI inputs).

For an example -- on DVDs I have of the TV show Hawaii Five-O, the
beginning of the disc is like this:

Musical logo for CBS/Paramount
Hawaii Five-O intro with theme song
Title card with episode selection
Episode title card
Beginning of the episode

At every one of the above, not to mention when you skip from one scene
to the next during the show itself, it cuts off the audio for the
first second or so as that title/chapter/track starts..

I tried playing the HDMI audio through the TV itself along with the
picture; the sound does not get clipped.

I left the coaxial audio out from the DVD to the Yamaha amp and hooked
up the video going from the DVD player's Video Out via an RCA cable to
a similar input on the TV (in other words, not using HDMI at all), and
the sound also does not get clipped.

When I am playing a music CD, and I start the CD or skip from one
track to the next, the sound also does not get clipped.

I tried disconnecting the coaxial audio connection from the DVD to the
Yamaha amp and instead taking the HDMI audio out from the TV via an
optical cable to the Yamaha amp.and the sound is still clipped!

Any ideas what could be wrong?

This is very screwy ... the only thing I seriously don't like about
this DVD player, which I bought to replace my previous Philips 5140/37
because I was having a lot of problems playing non-anamorphic DVDs on
the new Samsung TV.

The stuff in the Audio Setup for the DVD player which might affect
this is as follows:

Analog Output - Stereo
Digital Audio Setup - Digital Output - All
HDMI Output - Off

Thanks in advance for any input...