Recording clash on Sky+

Old July 8th 10, 11:14 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

Default Recording clash on Sky+

Hello group
I am having problems with clashed recordings. Pace TDS470N v3
Over the last couple of weeks I have had several recodings fail due to
'clashing' where I am sure no clash really existed. I did a planner
rebuild/reboot on Sunday. Then last night I was recording a programme
from 9pm to 10pm followed by another programme on the same channel
from 10pm to 10:30. I was watching a different channel throughout this
period. I have a 1 min padding at the start and 5 min padding at end.
The first programme appeared in the planner as 'recording' at approx
9:50. When I looked at the planner after 10:30 this programme was
marked as 'clashed' and none of it was recorded. The second programme
recorded correctly. There were no on screen warnings (they are turned
on). There werre no other programmes in the planner over this time
period.
I have had this set up for nearly 2 years without any problems - other
than perhaps the odd missed ending when the paddings have been cut to
allow the recordings to take place....a situation I fully understand.
I am suspecting:
a) a software change by Sky whereby padding is not cut out in such a
scenario and a clash results. (I'm thinking this unlikely 'cos this
would affect many people and there'd be lots of postings on this group
about it!)
b) failing hard disk

I'm a bit surprised the disk would be failing at this age although I
accept it does get quite a lot of use.

Any other ideas?

If it is thought b) is the problem any advice on suitable disks to
replace the existing one with?

I bought the box outright to avoid having connection to phone line and
to instal the dish wher I wanted it , so suspect I am not eligible for
Sky 65 'call out fixes all'

Many Thanks
Please reply to group - email address is not monitored
Ian
Old July 8th 10, 12:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Gary

wrote in message
[...]

Firstly if this is a SD box .(I don't know the model numbers) then I would
suspect it could be anytime recording.

My experience was on the SD box ( old epg) that anytime would cause a lot of
clashing. I turned it off and the problem went away. On the HD new epg it
works OK with anytime on.

It is worth doing a hard reboot. unplug it and plug it in again after 30
seconds. This clears all sorts of problems.

I use auto padding. I have never needed to use the manual padding . I was
not sure if it would cause problems and I have never had a real problem with
auto .

I have always paid for my box and I still qualified for the 65. it is your
sub they want so they do the repairs cheap to keep you. You may even be
able to get a repair for free if you tell them you wont renew if your box is
duff.

Satcure and similar people do Sky disks it is better to get a disk from
these sort of people because you know it will work. they do big disks too.

Gary

Old July 8th 10, 01:46 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On Thu, 8 Jul 2010 11:51:23 +0100, "Gary"
wrote:

[...]

Hi gary,
It is an SD box. I should have said ....Anytime is turned off - and
has been since installation.
I will try a hard reboot and auto padding. Thanks for the advice about
it being the sub which leads to 'cheap' repairs.