battery tools are crap

Old September 15th 17, 03:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
bilou[_2_]

Default battery tools are crap

"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
It sounds so attractive! No power cord! Use it where there's no mains!
But battery tools are rubbish compared to 110V or mains ones. Now I don't
do site work any more I can buy mains powered tools, and what a revelation
they are!

Firstly there's the fact that a mains powered tool can cost less than a
replacement battery. For instance a battery for my reciprocating saw would
have been 120. A new mains powered saw was 110.

Then there's the fact that battery tools run out of power just when you
don't want them to. So have two or three batteries and run mains for the
charger out to where your working ? Give over!

Then there's the fact that battery tools are always underpowered. You pay
more than twice the price for less than half the power. Even the bigger
battery tools tend to be rated at 300 to 450W, whereas the mains
equivalents are usually 1kW+.

And what a difference having adequate power makes! The job is so much
easier. Mains powered tools just glide through the work. The battery
equivalent would be slowing chugging along, then stopping due to a flat
battery.

Why people buy battery tools to use at home I really don't know. Ignorance
of the customer plus the vendor's sales hype I guess. Thinking about it, I
bet a lot of people who buy a battery drill have never used an electric
drill before, so they won't realise how limited their new toy is.

Bill

Hi
I totally agree with you but you forgot some problems:
Most tools are not usuable when charging ,like a PC.
Batteries loose charge very quickly and cannot be shared.
My 50m cable for the lawnmover can be and is shared with
a lot of tools and appliances :-)
Some times AC tools are over powered or too big
For a drill the only alternative is a Dremel that is too small.
For a screwdriver there is no alternative.

Old September 15th 17, 03:40 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

In article ,
R. Mark Clayton wrote:
On Thursday, 14 September 2017 19:13:04 UTC+1, Michael Chare wrote:
On 13/09/2017 14:30, Bill Wright wrote:

Well I wanted to use my mains powered angle grinder at the end of my
drive to cut some blocks as part of moving the gateposts because my new
car is much wider than the previous version (same brand, model name).

So I needed to buy the flex for an extension lead. Previous I have used
rubber covered leads for this. Now there are plastic covered ones which
although cheaper are a bit less flexible.

And don't crack up if left in the sun like rubber ones do.

If you want flexibility, try "Arctic" cable. More prone to damage, but
even more flexible than rubber.

--
Michael Chare

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

The 10 Best Photo Enhancement Tools jack High definition TV 0 October 10th 07 06:33 PM
DigitTV 3.128 Tools Ben UK digital tv 4 January 22nd 05 11:50 AM
Error closing DVD+R - any tools? Linker3000 UK digital tv 2 September 18th 04 08:53 PM
MFS tools sources? Dan Kegel Tivo personal television 2 December 5th 03 01:55 AM
tools to look at MFS filesystems? Stan Brown Tivo personal television 2 November 19th 03 04:31 AM