Don't be fooled.

Old January 12th 19, 08:53 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi

Default Don't be fooled.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...million-times/

Old January 12th 19, 09:07 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

I'm surprised this still goes on, as if one takes it to the obvious end
result, if google cannot spot fake apps how can it stop malware loaded ones
that steal data or hold a users device to ransom?

I guess the adware side is sometimes turned ablind eye to as Google make
their living from adverts.
Interestingly when I put my new Iphone, my first Iphone in fact on my
google email account over the festive season, after ten minutes I got an
email telling me to download Google apps for the Iphone. Chrome, their email
client, maps and calendar etc. I have done none of these things.
What is the point in getting a phone with the ability to run code in the
sandbox then adding software from the biggest data mining operation on the
planet?

Old January 12th 19, 10:20 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'm surprised this still goes on, as if one takes it to the obvious end
result, if google cannot spot fake apps how can it stop malware loaded
ones that steal data or hold a users device to ransom?

I guess the adware side is sometimes turned ablind eye to as Google make
their living from adverts.

I downloaded a File manager that came bundled with some Advert virus.

I didn't like the File manger so I un-installed it, but the Advert Virus
remained, popping up its trash whenever I swiped in some TBD direction

I had to do a restore factory setting to get rid of the dammed thing

tim

Old January 12th 19, 12:45 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Adrian Caspersz

On 12/01/2019 10:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
What brand of mobile was it?

Don't worry, It wasn't an iPhone. (App probably was ES File Explorer?)

There is no reason to sign into anything google related on an iPhone.

--
Adrian C
Old January 12th 19, 02:24 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
tim...[_2_]

"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 12/01/2019 10:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
What brand of mobile was it?

a tablet

Don't worry, It wasn't an iPhone.

Android, which is why I thought my comment was applicable to "downloading
from Google" , cos you download Android Apps from GooglePlay

(App probably was ES File Explorer?)

Nope

tim

Old January 12th 19, 10:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Pamela

The author has marked this message not to be archived. This post will be deleted on January 26, 2019.

On 09:20 12 Jan 2019, "tim..." wrote in
:

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I'm surprised this still goes on, as if one takes it to the obvious end
result, if google cannot spot fake apps how can it stop malware loaded
ones that steal data or hold a users device to ransom?

I guess the adware side is sometimes turned ablind eye to as Google make
their living from adverts.

I downloaded a File manager that came bundled with some Advert virus.

I didn't like the File manger so I un-installed it, but the Advert Virus
remained, popping up its trash whenever I swiped in some TBD direction

I had to do a restore factory setting to get rid of the dammed thing

tim

Did you try utilities (such as (Norton Clean or ES File Explorer) which
offer to clean residual files after an app is uninstalled?

I'm never sure how clever these cleaners actually are.
Old January 13th 19, 10:30 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

What does worry me a little is that google are trying to break into the
education market and already have a number of UK councils using their
software and services. Fine as long as they protect the data and do not use
it for things unintended, but it is a worry that they will probably have all
our residential addresses and other contact details due to the way the
council and google seem to be integrating. Of course on health it can be
used for good in that a sudden surge in searches for flu etc, in a given
area can mean that its on the rise before anyone else knows and allow
preparation of more resources.

Old January 13th 19, 10:58 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
charles[_2_]

Councils are not allowed to use cloud services hosted outside the EU.

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
What does worry me a little is that google are trying to break into the
education market and already have a number of UK councils using their
software and services. Fine as long as they protect the data and do not
use it for things unintended, but it is a worry that they will probably
have all our residential addresses and other contact details due to the
way the council and google seem to be integrating. Of course on health
it can be used for good in that a sudden surge in searches for flu etc,
in a given area can mean that its on the rise before anyone else knows
and allow preparation of more resources.

from KT24 in Surrey, England