Sky Q

Old June 16th 19, 01:31 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

Default Sky Q

On 16/06/2019 09:41, Robin wrote:
On 16/06/2019 02:38, Bill Wright wrote:
On 15/06/2019 14:03, Robin wrote:

Was it at the top or bottom of the ladder ? Reason I ask is I'm
currently revising for an H&S test, and the correct answer for that
was the ladder should be secured at the top. My lad's was at the bottom.

AIUI modern practice is both: ie secure the ladder at bottom /and/
top - to anchors in wall or to structure*.

Funny how I was fixing aerials for fifty years and I only anchored when
I thought it was necessary, and that wasn't all that often, yet I never
had an accident.

Indeed. But I've never seen you as a /typical/ aerial fixer!

I'd like to hear from some of the less able ones who perhaps did fall.
Is there anybody there? Knock once for yes, ...

I went to school with a lad who decided to be a window cleaner when he
left school.

9 months later, he fell off his ladder, and was in a wheelchair for the
rest of his life.

Jim

Old June 16th 19, 08:42 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/06/2019 09:34, Mark Carver wrote:
On 14/06/2019 21:54, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Depends how high it is.* Working at height regulations limit how high
you can go with ladders without someone footing it.

Again all the material I've read for the test I'm taking is that only
one person, in all situations, should be in contact with the ladder.

Are you training to be the local aerial rigger Mark? If so you'll need
extensive tattoos, an extensive vocabulary of swear words, and a 60 a
day habit. Somehow you'll have to forget all you know and revert to a
small number of untested hypotheses made up by yourself about RF
propagation and aerial design.

Old June 16th 19, 08:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/06/2019 09:41, Robin wrote:

Indeed. But I've never seen you as a /typical/ aerial fixer!

There's two ways to take that!

I'd like to hear from some of the less able ones who perhaps did fall.
Is there anybody there?* Knock once for yes, ...

There was a rigger who lived a few miles from here. Couple of years ago
he propped his ladder against the back wall of a bungalow so he could
reach up to the underdrawings. His feet were only 18" from the ground
when the ladder slipped back. He jumped off but slipped over and banged
his head on the coke bunker. He died the next day without regaining
consciousness.

However I suspect the vast majority of aerial-rigging accidents happen
to the DIY people. Rod Hull?

Old June 16th 19, 08:59 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/06/2019 10:43, Jeff Gaines wrote:
On 16/06/2019 in message
Robin wrote:

I'd like to hear from some of the less able ones who perhaps did fall.
Is there anybody there?* Knock once for yes, ...

There are old riggers and there are bold riggers but there are no old,
bold, riggers :-)

Ha! Yes, fall off when you're 17 and your bones mend quick. Then think on.

Old June 16th 19, 09:07 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv

On 16/06/2019 13:31, Indy Jess John wrote:

I went to school with a lad who decided to be a window cleaner when he
left school.

9 months later, he fell off his ladder, and was in a wheelchair for the
rest of his life.

Did you get his bike at a bargain price?

Old June 16th 19, 09:35 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Indy Jess John

On 16/06/2019 21:07, Bill Wright wrote:
On 16/06/2019 13:31, Indy Jess John wrote:

I went to school with a lad who decided to be a window cleaner when he
left school.

9 months later, he fell off his ladder, and was in a wheelchair for the
rest of his life.

Did you get his bike at a bargain price?

Bill

I didn't ask. I already had a bargain price bike, and I never mastered
the art of riding two at the same time. :-)

Jim

Old June 17th 19, 01:08 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
JNugent[_5_]

On 14/06/2019 10:41, Jeff Gaines wrote:

Had the Sky Q box (and new LNB) fitted today. Nothing remarkable except
the engineer had to drill the wall for a fitting to hold his ladder in
place before he could go up it.

Is this the new norm?

Yes. It happened at ours too.
Old June 17th 19, 12:47 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver

On 16/06/2019 20:42, Bill Wright wrote:
On 16/06/2019 09:34, Mark Carver wrote:
On 14/06/2019 21:54, R. Mark Clayton wrote:

Depends how high it is.* Working at height regulations limit how high
you can go with ladders without someone footing it.

Again all the material I've read for the test I'm taking is that only
one person, in all situations, should be in contact with the ladder.

Are you training to be the local aerial rigger Mark? If so you'll need
extensive tattoos, an extensive vocabulary of swear words, and a 60 a
day habit. Somehow you'll have to forget all you know and revert to a
small number of untested hypotheses made up by yourself about RF
propagation and aerial design.

Ha, no. It's simply 21st century hoop-jumping to allow me to swan
around an industrial building site, checking the work of others.

--
Mark
Old June 18th 19, 11:26 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Graham.[_12_]

On 16/06/2019 in message
Robin wrote:

I'd like to hear from some of the less able ones who perhaps did fall. Is
there anybody there? Knock once for yes, ...

There are old riggers and there are bold riggers but there are no old,
bold, riggers :-)

Rigger mortis.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Old June 19th 19, 12:26 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Paul Ratcliffe

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019 12:47:52 +0100, Mark Carver
wrote:

Again all the material I've read for the test I'm taking is that only
one person, in all situations, should be in contact with the ladder.

Are you training to be the local aerial rigger Mark? If so you'll need
extensive tattoos, an extensive vocabulary of swear words, and a 60 a
day habit. Somehow you'll have to forget all you know and revert to a
small number of untested hypotheses made up by yourself about RF
propagation and aerial design.

Ha, no. It's simply 21st century hoop-jumping to allow me to swan
around an industrial building site, checking the work of others.

Does the test include assessment of:
Sucking of breath through teeth
Shaking of head
Rolling of eyes