Video/Sound Quality Standard DVD Player

Old February 4th 09, 03:16 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc

Default Video/Sound Quality Standard DVD Player

Hey everyone,
It seems I've been combing the forums for months now with no real
definitive answers, just lots of mixed reviews. So it is to my
understanding that if you have an awesome TV that can display the
image better than what the DVD player sends to the TV, then you really
don't need to dump a ton of money into the player. This too from what
I've read would also eliminate the point for buying an upconverting
player, due to the fact your televisions 480p image would look better
than the players 1080p image. The question I also have comes with the
audio. If I have a stand alone receiver that can decode and amplify
the sound with much better quality than the players amplifier, do I
also not have to focus on a player that sends high quality audio. So
the all in all, if the above information is correct, can I just buy a
piece of junk DVD player with HDMI and Optical audio connections if my
television and my receiver can seriously kick? Or is there more to the
story than what I've picked up, and what kind of DVD player should I
be looking for if this is the case?
Old February 5th 09, 01:24 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
L Alpert

wrote in message
[...]

If your TV already upscales input images to 1080p, then there is no sense
getting an upscaling DVD player. Just get a decent 480p unit with digital
sound output to a decent receiver with great speakers...bada bing! Of
course, if you have a kick butt TV, you might as well go Blu-ray.