A Home cinema forum. HomeCinemaBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » HomeCinemaBanter forum » Home cinema newsgroups » UK digital tv
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Whistling Labgear DA



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old February 10th 19, 10:48 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Brian Gaff
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,823
Default Whistling Labgear DA

That should have said intermodulation but I left the spell check on auto.
Brian

--
----- --
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
...
Yes that pressure effect and the intermediation is what I hear. I think my
hearing was damaged in the 80s when I got too close to a couple of
lightning strikes. I now have some tinnitus which is very much like a
dodgy psu or line timbase with rattling core!
Brian

--
----- --
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
...
On 09/02/2019 18:52, Mark Carver wrote:
I bought this for our lad's flat, and installed it just before
Christmas. Does the job fine, so I switched it off and forgot all about
it.

Yesterday he (finally !) moved in, and switched it on. He tells me
there's a penetrating high pitched whistle from it. Neither myself
nor Mrs Carver can hear anything. I assume it's the SMPSU making the
racket. Do they all do that, designed to go in the loft to keep bats
away (or attract them, I'm not sure how it works ?) Or am I (well he)
unlucky, (his is installed behind the sofa in the living room) and I'll
just throw it back at CPC and get another one?

https://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/lda102r/booster-2-output-4g-filtered-red/dp/AP03298?ost=ap03298&ddkey=https%3Aen-CPC%2FCPC_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch


I haven't heard any other complaints, so hopefully it's a one-off. So
send it back. But first I'd ask the complaining bat to double check it's
the amp making the noise. Put a pillow or a hand over it and see if the
noise is attenuated. Try switching it on and off. In a new flat there
could be other unfamiliar sources of weird sounds.

Bill





  #12  
Old February 10th 19, 11:22 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Andy Burns[_12_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 951
Default Whistling Labgear DA

Bill Wright wrote:

I stood him right next to the sounder (where the noise was almost
unbearable) and asked him what he could hear. He said he could hear a
ticking. I said, "Say 'tick' when it ticks." He said 'tick' in time with
the change from one tone to the other. He could hear a low note,
inaudible to us because of the loudness of the tones, that happened each
time the tones swapped.


When filing past those sounders during fire drills or accidental alarms,
you can feel the resonance change in your skull, a bit like the (bone
conductance?) noise you hear when you scrunch on/off all the muscles
around your forehead/jaw/ears
  #13  
Old February 10th 19, 11:56 AM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Phi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 365
Default Whistling Labgear DA


"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
...
Yes that pressure effect and the intermediation is what I hear. I think my
hearing was damaged in the 80s when I got too close to a couple of
lightning strikes. I now have some tinnitus which is very much like a
dodgy psu or line timbase with rattling core!
Brian

--
----- --
This newsgroup posting comes to you directly from...
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
...
On 09/02/2019 18:52, Mark Carver wrote:
I bought this for our lad's flat, and installed it just before
Christmas. Does the job fine, so I switched it off and forgot all about
it.

Yesterday he (finally !) moved in, and switched it on. He tells me
there's a penetrating high pitched whistle from it. Neither myself
nor Mrs Carver can hear anything. I assume it's the SMPSU making the
racket. Do they all do that, designed to go in the loft to keep bats
away (or attract them, I'm not sure how it works ?) Or am I (well he)
unlucky, (his is installed behind the sofa in the living room) and I'll
just throw it back at CPC and get another one?

https://cpc.farnell.com/labgear/lda102r/booster-2-output-4g-filtered-red/dp/AP03298?ost=ap03298&ddkey=https%3Aen-CPC%2FCPC_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch


I haven't heard any other complaints, so hopefully it's a one-off. So
send it back. But first I'd ask the complaining bat to double check it's
the amp making the noise. Put a pillow or a hand over it and see if the
noise is attenuated. Try switching it on and off. In a new flat there
could be other unfamiliar sources of weird sounds.

Bill




My hearing damage was caused by steam turbines at Hinkley Point and jet
engines at Farnborough. At eighteen during my apprenticeship (1958) I tested
the upper hearing range with an earpiece and an Advance audio oscillator and
could hear clearly up to ~19kc/s (sic).

  #14  
Old February 10th 19, 12:51 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,576
Default Whistling Labgear DA

On 10/02/2019 09:54, Mark Carver wrote:

Oh, it's definitely the amp making the noise, no doubt about that.
If I get really close I can sort of hear other noises heterodyning
with it, difficult to describe.


Ohh I know what you mean though.


He's 30 this year, and has spent the last 12-14 years in night clubs
etc, so I'm frankly amazed he can hear anything ! His girlfiend also
can hear it BTW.


From H & S courses I've been on, I think the damage from prolonged
exposure to loud noise tends to show up in later life.

I could hear top treble when I was 30.

My hearing is surprisingly good now. I can't hear HF but I can find a
puncture in an inner tube when it's still in the tyre by putting my ear
to it and working round the wheel.

Bill
  #15  
Old February 10th 19, 12:55 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,576
Default Whistling Labgear DA

On 10/02/2019 10:38, Mark Carver wrote:

I've dug out an old 1x2 Wolsey I'd forgotten I had, so swap that in,
while I sort out the replacement


Is an amplifier necessary? I suspect from other correspondence that in
this case it is, but in general many installations have amps that could
be replaced with a splitter. DTT has made this possible in many cases.

Bill

  #16  
Old February 10th 19, 12:57 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,576
Default Whistling Labgear DA

On 10/02/2019 11:22, Andy Burns wrote:

When filing past those sounders during fire drills or accidental alarms,
you can feel the resonance change in your skull, a bit like the (bone
conductance?) noise you hear when you scrunch on/off all the muscles
around your forehead/jaw/ears


Most people can't do that. I can though.

Bill
  #17  
Old February 10th 19, 03:02 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,528
Default Whistling Labgear DA

On 10/02/2019 12:55, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/02/2019 10:38, Mark Carver wrote:

I've dug out an old 1x2 Wolsey I'd forgotten I had, so swap that in,
while I sort out the replacement


Is an amplifier necessary? I suspect from other correspondence that in
this case it is, but in general many installations have amps that could
be replaced with a splitter. DTT has made this possible in many cases.


The muxes were pretty poor summertime (well Sept) about 40-45 dBuV owing
to a thick wood the aerial looks through, at present they are 10ish dB
better than that. It's a 15 metre run to his bedroom from the point the
aerial feeder enters the property, (which only has 6ft or so of feeder
to the aerial, so in effect it's acting as a masthead amp.)

I'm getting about 30dB CNR at the bedrooom, and the muxes look awful
(ragged and uneven) on an analyzer, but the telly reports 90/90 on the
silly bargraph thing.

Anyway, DTT is of secondary importance, as one of his employment perks
is a free Sky Q multiroom system, and the path to Astra is totally clear
of any obstructions, or future obstructions.

--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
  #18  
Old February 10th 19, 04:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Bill Wright[_3_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 3,576
Default Whistling Labgear DA

On 10/02/2019 15:02, Mark Carver wrote:

The muxes were pretty poor summertime (well Sept) about 40-45 dBuV owing
to a thick wood the aerial looks through, at present they are 10ish dB
better than that. It's a 15 metre run to his bedroom from the point the
aerialĀ* feeder enters the property, (which only has 6ft or so of feeder
to the aerial, so in effect it's acting as a masthead amp.)

I'm getting about 30dB CNR at the bedrooom, and the muxes look awful
(ragged and uneven) on an analyzer, but the telly reports 90/90 on the
silly bargraph thing.

Deffo needs an amp!

Bill

  #19  
Old February 10th 19, 09:34 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Vir Campestris
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 530
Default Whistling Labgear DA

On 10/02/2019 10:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
I'd have thought that they should have returned the vdu. I remember some ICL
ones being sent back for this very problem. They obviously knew about it but
were trying to work the dodgy ones back to companies back in the 80s cos
they could not actually fix them.


When I first started work at ICL I reported a whistling VDU. The guy who
came to fix it couldn't hear it.

These days - well, the other day I managed to get a horrible noise out
of a device. I think it was 22kHz (48kHz sample rate fed aa 55). Either
way, I couldn't hear it - but the young lady across the room was asking
WTF is that noise?

Andy
  #20  
Old February 11th 19, 07:27 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
Mark Carver
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,528
Default Whistling Labgear DA

On 10/02/2019 16:16, Bill Wright wrote:
On 10/02/2019 15:02, Mark Carver wrote:

The muxes were pretty poor summertime (well Sept) about 40-45 dBuV
owing to a thick wood the aerial looks through, at present they are
10ish dB better than that. It's a 15 metre run to his bedroom from the
point the aerialĀ* feeder enters the property, (which only has 6ft or
so of feeder to the aerial, so in effect it's acting as a masthead amp.)

I'm getting about 30dB CNR at the bedrooom, and the muxes look awful
(ragged and uneven) on an analyzer, but the telly reports 90/90 on the
silly bargraph thing.

Deffo needs an amp!


CPC said send it back, and they will send me a refund, as long as they
can find a young enough person to verify the fault !

Got him a new one at TLC today, 1x4 and separate VHF/UHF inputs. It's an
overkill, but he reports no whistle (unless he sicks ear right against
it) and it'll be fine for him as he moves up the housing ladder over the
future decades !

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXLDL204.html



--
Mark
Please replace invalid and invalid with gmx and net to reply.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Could 'whistling' kill your PVR? Paul D Smith[_2_] UK digital tv 18 October 9th 16 08:33 PM
Labgear DTT100 physical dimensions? Paul Speller UK digital tv 12 November 4th 03 06:51 PM
Multi-screen and Labgear (setpal) stb problem Graham UK digital tv 1 October 7th 03 10:28 AM
Setpal updates (Daewoo, Labgear, Triax and Dijam) Alan UK digital tv 0 October 1st 03 11:50 PM
Setpal updates (Daewoo, Labgear, Triax and Dijam) Alan UK digital tv 2 September 22nd 03 09:25 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 HomeCinemaBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.