DVI digital over VGA cable

Old June 24th 12, 01:23 AM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Jack B. Pollack

Default DVI digital over VGA cable

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal
through a VGA cable
(turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)?

Problem is that my computer has a DVI output, and my flat-screen TV in
another room has a DVI input (digital only) but the only wire running
through the walls is a VGA cable.

When I google it I am only finding results for adapters to go from DVI to
VGA.

I did try a standard DVI to VGA adapter on both ends and it didn't work. I
think it is only passing the analog part of the signal so there is nothing
to "convert back" at the digital end.

Thanks

Old June 24th 12, 02:21 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Kuskokwim

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
Old June 24th 12, 03:29 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Jack B. Pollack

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:23:15 -0400, Jack B. Pollack wrote:

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal
through a VGA cable
(turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Those convert to DVI-A. The TV is only DVI-D in

Old June 24th 12, 04:50 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
DC

On 24/06/2012 8:29 AM, Jack B. Pollack wrote:
wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:23:15 -0400, Jack B. Pollack wrote:

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal
through a VGA cable
(turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Those convert to DVI-A. The TV is only DVI-D in

How about

http://www.nti1.ca/dvi-vga.html

and

http://www.nti1.ca/vga-dvi.html

Sounds like it would convert the DVI-D to analog to send over your VGA
cable and then back to digital at the other end rather than actually
sending the digital signal as-is, though.

DC
Old June 24th 12, 07:04 PM posted to alt.home-theater.misc
Kuskokwim

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012 10:29:25 -0400, Jack B. Pollack wrote:

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:23:15 -0400, Jack B. Pollack wrote:

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal
through a VGA cable
(turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Those convert to DVI-A. The TV is only DVI-D in

Because a VGA cable doesn't have enough individual conductors, you can't do
what you want to do with simple adapters.
Old July 20th 18, 04:11 PM
Castillo Castillo is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuskokwim View Post

"Kuskokwim" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 20:23:15 -0400, Jack B. Pollack wrote:

Does anyone know of an adapter that will allow me to run a DVI-D signal
through a VGA cable
(turn a VGA cable into a DVI-D cable)?

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Those convert to DVI-A. The TV is only DVI-D in

Because a VGA cable doesn't have enough individual conductors, you can't do
what you want to do with simple adapters.
Have they come up with improved versions of VGA cables in recent years by any chance?

Best for long runs, DVI or VGA? Vitamin R Home theater (general) 5 September 24th 07 02:42 AM
VGA to dvi BAC High definition TV 5 June 29th 07 06:41 AM
vga to component vs dvi [email protected] High definition TV 0 March 7th 06 01:34 AM
VGA > DVI Display (34XBR910) Phil R. High definition TV 0 January 15th 04 02:46 AM
S-Video to DVI or VGA? flarkblark High definition TV 8 September 16th 03 03:43 AM