Old October 11th 18, 09:16 PM posted to uk.tech.digital-tv
NY

Default Programme cut short

"Johnny B Good" wrote in message
I accidentally
discovered, record every single TV stream in a MUX simultaneously anyway,
making padding/channel conflicts a nightmare of the past.

One of my two DVB-T decoders (PCTV 292e) can do this when driven by VLC
(Media | Open Capture Device) - I've recorded the whole of a DVB-T or DVB-T2
multiplex - mainly because it's possible rather than so I can record now and
copy to separate programmes at a later stage. The other decoder (Hauppauge
Win-TV Nova) fails miserably at this task, but then it is rather a tall
order. I can certainly record two or three channels on the same mux using
either decoder, using NextPVR (Windows) or TVHeadend (Pi).

It's fairly rare that I need to record more than one mux at once, but it's
nice to have the ability to spill over onto a second decoder in case I need
a bit of overlap time.

At present, I've not completely cracked the problem of TVHeadend writing its
recordings to an external USB device (pen drive or hard disk) that is
mounted into the Unix filesystem. 99% of the time it works fine, but
occasionally I get the dreaded "file missing" error which means that for
some weird reason TVH refuses to write to the USB device, even though I can
still copy to or from it from UNIX commands or even from Windows via a Samba
share. Since I've told it to write to the Pi's SD card, I've not had that
problem. I just need to make sure I copy recordings (via the Samba share) as
soon as they have finished recording so as not to fill up the card.

It was a symbolic occasion the other night when I put my Windows PC to sleep
the other night until I needed it the following day, now that TV recording
and weather station data logging are both done by the Pi. :-)