Old July 3rd 04, 02:01 AM
Peter Hewitt-Dutton

ESPN manages it well enough, although not too often, looks bloody good
though

"Stephen Neal" wrote in message
Stephen wrote:
It was the satellite man from SES who suggested no HDTV on
terrestrial until analogue switch off, and he would. The man from BBC
R&D says, "It's possible for DVB-T, to deliver these services in the
NEAR future". If they want to make an early start I think the BBC
already have room for HDTV on Multiplex B. Channels 701 and 702 use
up half a mulitplex, and are put to very little good use for the
majority of the year (the current Euro 2004 & Wimbledon coverage
being the exception rather than the rule). Timesharing this capacity,
using BBCi downtime for an HDTV channel instead of static captions,
would be good enough for a startup service of HDTV.

I guess the space in Mux B could be used for an HD service using a newer
codec (MPEG4 or WM9) - at 1280x720 rather than 1920x1080? MPEG2 would be

squeeze though.

I think the US ATSC stuff uses 13-18Mbs for a single 1280x720-1920x1080 HD
stream which would be an entire 18Mbs Mux - though returning to 64QAM -

only
a suggestion ;-) - would allow BBC Four and an ATSC-rate MPEG2 HD stream

co-exist in Mux B.

Even ITV may find room for an HDTV channel on Multiplex A if, as
frequently predicted, Top Up TV fails.

Err - but ITV don't own Mux A - that is SDN's isn't it - though I suspect
ITV1 could buy some space in it? If TUTV failed then there would be space
in ITV/C4's Mux 1 - in the Channel Four half though.

ITV will be desperate for
their own HDTV outlet once Sky start screening commercials in HD to
viewers with large flat panel HD screens at home. Advertisers are
ITV's top priority, and ITV will
risk losing them to Sky if they don't have an HDTV channel of
their own.

Are any of the adverts in the US HD yet? It is something I have never

been
clear about.

Plus, they won't want to be in the position of saying that
you have to get a Sky dish to watch ITV in High Definition. They will
want to deliver HDTV through an aerial, and start as soon as Sky
start HDTV on satellite. ITV cannot afford to wait for analogue
switch off while Sky take away all the advertisers who understandably
want their commercials to be seen in the highest definition possible
to create the greatest impact on viewers.

It will be interesting to see what Sky do in HD. My first guess is that
their movie channels will be HD, and Sky One (which mainly shows US

imports
already produced in HD for the US market) will move over. Sport would
probably be the main driving force for HD - but will also be one of the

most
expensive upgrades - as OB facilities providers would charge a premium

(and
need to upgrade their facilities) to Sky etc. - whereas the Movies and Sky
One cost increases would be marginal, Sky Sports upgrading would be
significant.

Steve