HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   Tivo personal television (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   expetive deleted TiVo... (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=75462)

danny burstein April 19th 15 02:57 AM

expetive deleted TiVo...

They just removed their interface to the
free Youtube library.

They also clobbered their gateway to Amazon's
"on demand" service (a paid option).

Now it's all and only payup for Netflix.

Chris Adams[_2_] April 19th 15 06:03 AM

expetive deleted TiVo...

Once upon a time, danny burstein said:
They just removed their interface to the
free Youtube library.

They also clobbered their gateway to Amazon's
"on demand" service (a paid option).

I assume you must be using a TiVo Series3/HD unit. Those only supported
a TiVo-special access to Youtube and Amazon, and those interfaces are
going away at the Youtube and Amazon ends. The Series3 hardware is not
powerful enough to support the newer access methods that the Premiere
and Roamio platforms use. There's nothing that TiVo can do about it.
--
Chris Adams

danny burstein April 19th 15 01:50 PM

expetive deleted TiVo...

In (Chris Adams) writes:

Once upon a time, danny burstein said:
They just removed their interface to the
free Youtube library.

They also clobbered their gateway to Amazon's
"on demand" service (a paid option).

I assume you must be using a TiVo Series3/HD unit. Those only supported
a TiVo-special access to Youtube and Amazon, and those interfaces are
going away at the Youtube and Amazon ends. The Series3 hardware is not
powerful enough to support the newer access methods that the Premiere
and Roamio platforms use. There's nothing that TiVo can do about it.

Eyup, I've been using a Series 3. It's only 7 or so years old...
Good thing I didn't install that larger hard drive I was
eyeing last mongh...

Might be time to swap the unit for a Roamio.

THanks

Dr. Personality April 19th 15 02:26 PM

expetive deleted TiVo...

In article , danny burstein
wrote:

In
(Chris Adams) writes:

Once upon a time, danny burstein said:
They just removed their interface to the
free Youtube library.

They also clobbered their gateway to Amazon's
"on demand" service (a paid option).

I assume you must be using a TiVo Series3/HD unit. Those only supported
a TiVo-special access to Youtube and Amazon, and those interfaces are
going away at the Youtube and Amazon ends. The Series3 hardware is not
powerful enough to support the newer access methods that the Premiere
and Roamio platforms use. There's nothing that TiVo can do about it.

Eyup, I've been using a Series 3. It's only 7 or so years old...
Good thing I didn't install that larger hard drive I was
eyeing last mongh...

Might be time to swap the unit for a Roamio.

THanks

Approx seven years? Quite a nice ride. Congrats.

Doug McIntyre[_2_] April 19th 15 05:04 PM

expetive deleted TiVo...

danny burstein writes:
Eyup, I've been using a Series 3. It's only 7 or so years old...
Good thing I didn't install that larger hard drive I was
eyeing last mongh...
Might be time to swap the unit for a Roamio.

I know the desire to treat these things as ever lasting, like my 15
year-old-TV that works great, it just doesn't have any digital inputs,
but these computer based things really only have lifetimes of 3 to 5
years max, and anything after that has to be really treated as gravy
on the replacement train.

If you had a 7-year old computer, it would be considered on its last legs..
(ie. Core2 Duo. 2GB RAM, 500GB hard drive, GeForce 8800 was a
"midrange" 2008 desktop system).

I tried to stretch my Series 2 to keep working, but when it gave up
the ghost, I found a great upgrade offer on the Roamio, and haven't
looked back.

I do wish that TiVo realized there is a market for OTA/cord cutters
more, since only the Roamio OTA (can't buy lifetime on it), or the
smallest Roamio (500GB and no Stream) can do OTA. Thankfully you
can buy bigger hard drives and (now that they are back in stock) TiVo
Stream boxes.

--
Doug McIntyre

Chris Adams[_2_] April 19th 15 08:46 PM

expetive deleted TiVo...

Once upon a time, danny burstein said:
Eyup, I've been using a Series 3. It's only 7 or so years old...
Good thing I didn't install that larger hard drive I was
eyeing last mongh...

Yeah, it is kind of annoying (my old HD is at a friend's house now).
TiVo was ahead of the game with some of the Series3 functionality, and
now the standardized functionality won't work on the older boxes. The
good news is that (from what I understand) all the so-called OTT (Over
The set-Top box) apps tend to work mostly the same from device to
device, so the apps on the Premiere/Roamio platforms should stick around
for the foreseeable future.

--
Chris Adams

Chris Buckley April 19th 15 09:40 PM

expetive deleted TiVo...

On 2015-04-19, Chris Adams wrote:
Once upon a time, danny burstein said:
Eyup, I've been using a Series 3. It's only 7 or so years old...
Good thing I didn't install that larger hard drive I was
eyeing last mongh...

Yeah, it is kind of annoying (my old HD is at a friend's house now).

I agree it's annoying. Note that it is not only TiVo being affected -
my Sony blu-ray player is telling me it won't be able to access
You-tube as of tomorrow.

Chris