HomeCinemaBanter

HomeCinemaBanter (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/index.php)
-   High definition TV (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Vizio TruVolume working backwards!!?? (http://www.homecinemabanter.com/showthread.php?t=65638)

[email protected] January 30th 10 06:12 PM

Vizio TruVolume working backwards!!??

I have a Vizio with TruVolume

Its a feature designed to "maintain a comfortable
listening level when a commercial on or changing
channels"

However, when I have it set to ON, the volume is ALL
over the place! Even varying up/down within same show!

Bought the TV at Costco so no problem taking it back.
But WTH is wrong here? A firmware issue?

I'm using basic cable TV with internal speakers and no
set top boxes of any kind

LightByrd January 30th 10 06:53 PM

wrote in message
I have a Vizio with TruVolume

Its a feature designed to "maintain a comfortable
listening level when a commercial on or changing
channels"

However, when I have it set to ON, the volume is ALL
over the place! Even varying up/down within same show!

Bought the TV at Costco so no problem taking it back.
But WTH is wrong here? A firmware issue?

I'm using basic cable TV with internal speakers and no
set top boxes of any kind

I have a Sony XBR CRT with the same feature.
Doesn't seem to do much!
Don't understand, since all it involves is a compressor/limiter, which has
been used in audio since the vacuum tube days

--
Regards,
Richard Harison

UCLAN[_2_] January 30th 10 08:20 PM

wrote:

I have a Vizio with TruVolume

Its a feature designed to "maintain a comfortable
listening level when a commercial on or changing
channels"

However, when I have it set to ON, the volume is ALL
over the place! Even varying up/down within same show!

So, my suggestion of a week ago helped (Vizio 23" Razer LED TV audio
all over the place!!) Have you contacted Vizio? SRS?

http://www.srslabs.com/content.aspx?id=182

[email protected] January 30th 10 10:35 PM

"LightByrd" wrote:

I have a Sony XBR CRT with the same feature.
Doesn't seem to do much!
Don't understand, since all it involves is a compressor/limiter, which has
been used in audio since the vacuum tube days

When I turn it OFF... it actually is less of a pain....
of course TV ads blast the sound up tho.

Id like to *keep* the TV..... but just want to make
sure this is not a "defect"

[email protected] January 30th 10 10:38 PM

UCLAN wrote:

So, my suggestion of a week ago helped (Vizio 23" Razer LED TV audio
all over the place!!) Have you contacted Vizio? SRS?

No... I haven't contacted them cause number one I want
to make sure I'm not imagining this and wondered if
anyone else has this problem with SRS

And two.... wanted to get my facts together BEFORE
calling.

I seriously doubt I will get a straight answer from
either company..... given today's customer service and
I don't relish spending hours on the phone getting a
real human being.

It may just be easier to return to Costco and try
another brand

But thanks for your input

JimH[_2_] January 31st 10 12:59 AM

wrote:
UCLAN wrote:

So, my suggestion of a week ago helped (Vizio 23" Razer LED TV audio
all over the place!!) Have you contacted Vizio? SRS?

No... I haven't contacted them cause number one I want
to make sure I'm not imagining this and wondered if
anyone else has this problem with SRS

And two.... wanted to get my facts together BEFORE
calling.

I seriously doubt I will get a straight answer from
either company..... given today's customer service and
I don't relish spending hours on the phone getting a
real human being.

It may just be easier to return to Costco and try
another brand

But thanks for your input

I have a 55 inch Vizio that I've had for about 2 months. I don't
normally use the TV audio, but I tried it so I could respond to your
question. It does seem to vary somewhat with SRS TrueVolume turned on.
When I turned it off, it sounded fine.

If it affect many Vizio TV sets, it might be worth contacting them. They
may have a new firmware release for it.

--
Jim

[email protected] January 31st 10 01:02 AM

JimH wrote:

If it affect many Vizio TV sets, it might be worth contacting them. They
may have a new firmware release for it.

Thanks for checking Jim!

I will contract someone next week

UCLAN[_2_] January 31st 10 07:04 AM

wrote:

So, my suggestion of a week ago helped (Vizio 23" Razer LED TV audio
all over the place!!) Have you contacted Vizio? SRS?

No... I haven't contacted them cause number one I want
to make sure I'm not imagining this and wondered if
anyone else has this problem with SRS

And two.... wanted to get my facts together BEFORE
calling.

I seriously doubt I will get a straight answer from
either company..... given today's customer service and
I don't relish spending hours on the phone getting a
real human being.

Man, that's a defeatist attitude. You've given up before trying. Sad.

It may just be easier to return to Costco and try
another brand

Packing it all up and traveling to Costco may be easier than making
a phone call?

Stewart January 31st 10 05:54 PM

"UCLAN" wrote in message

So, my suggestion of a week ago helped (Vizio 23" Razer LED TV
audio
all over the place!!) Have you contacted Vizio? SRS?

No... I haven't contacted them cause number one I want
to make sure I'm not imagining this and wondered if
anyone else has this problem with SRS

And two.... wanted to get my facts together BEFORE
calling.

I seriously doubt I will get a straight answer from
either company..... given today's customer service and
I don't relish spending hours on the phone getting a
real human being.

Man, that's a defeatist attitude. You've given up before trying.
Sad.

It may just be easier to return to Costco and try
another brand

Packing it all up and traveling to Costco may be easier than making
a phone call?

No, but it may take less time and aggravation.

[email protected] January 31st 10 06:41 PM

"Stewart" wrote:

No, but it may take less time and aggravation.

yes by far